Status
Not open for further replies.

berwaldg

cudasforever
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Well I have this motor......but it is quite a conundrum. I removed this motor from the under dash a/c system on my wife's one-owner '68 Barracuda; she has never had it replaced. It is a double shaft motor and with 12 v applied, spins like new at 3850 rpm. The motor is quiet and the bushings seem fine with almost no radial play and very little end play. The motor has no markings on it, but the original part number is supposed to be 2870270. I removed it because it didn't seem to move enough air, and replaced it with an NOS motor. The new motor spins at 9800 rpm so I can only conclude there is something wrong with the one I removed. Is it possible that it has a bad winding? In that case is it re-buildable? Or is it possible that the motor is fine, just used in the wrong application?
In any case I would like to find a home for the motor. The new motor was $165 so I would like to get $20 for the old one plus the ride.

P9181816.JPG

The "look alike" under dash unit I have came from a 71 model Dart. So I'm curious, Is yours the same "look alike" ( switches in the 2 blank spaces between the 3 vents )? Are your squirrel cages made of metal or plastic?

The "look alike" under dash unit I have came from a 71 model Dart. So I'm curious, Is yours the same "look alike" ( switches in the 2 blank spaces between the 3 vents )? Are your squirrel cages made of metal or plastic?
Don't think we are talking about the same unit. Here is a shot of mine. The squirrel cages are aluminum.

ac7.jpg

9800 rpm! ?
Well it was closer to 9000, sorry. The method I used to measure was the same for both motors, and pretty crude. I cinched down a zip tie on the flat of the shaft and trimmed off most of it but left a tail. I put 12v on the motor and used a recording app torecord the sound of a credit card hitting the tail of the zip tie as the motor spun. Each tick would be one revolution. I loaded the recording on to my sound editing program and counted 10 spikes in the recording and how long it took to make those 10 spikes. The motor did 10 revolutions (spikes) in .066 seconds. 10 revolutions divided by .066 seconds gives 151.5 revs per second....x 60 seconds per minute gives 9091 revs per minute.

I would think the squirrel cage fan would cavatate at those rpms and produce little air flow.
Im no scientist.... Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back