a/c heater questions

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have an extra J bolt to hold the corner of my heater box for my 72 Demon. I seem to be missing mine? I look inside the door and there is a metal L bracket. I think this is where the rod goes. Are these the same for all Abody cars? Or does a 72 Demon not have them? Also, I am looking for the a/c vacuum lines and plug that goes thru the firewall. My plug only has 2 hoses coming thru. One appears to be black and the other is black with a white stripe. My issue here is that it appears somebody just cut the hoses off flush with the cone shaped plug. I don't see how I can now extend the hose into the engine bay. I assume the hose is suppose to just continue thru the plug and be long enough to go somewhere into the engine bay. These were missing and I was trying to get info on them? I see lots of different versions of these and mine is a 72 Demon. Any help or pictures would be great.

J bolt... Those may be a different lengths in 72 back and 73 forward. A battery hold down J bolt would work but... The original has a defined thread travel to prevent over tightening and breaking the case so a substitute may not be a good plan.

Vacuum...You could whittle out the original tubing from the body grommet and poke hard plastic unions through it. Super glue will bond the plastic to the rubber if its cleaned and scuffed. Attach required tubing to both ends/sides.

J bolt... Those may be a different lengths in 72 back and 73 forward. A battery hold down J bolt would work but... The original has a defined thread travel to prevent over tightening and breaking the case so a substitute may not be a good plan.

Vacuum...You could whittle out the original tubing from the body grommet and poke hard plastic unions through it. Super glue will bond the plastic to the rubber if its cleaned and scuffed. Attach required tubing to both ends/sides.

I see a small L bracket inside the vent box. I assume this is where the J bolts goes through. And then the J end just hangs on the lip of the round opening up top? Is that correct???

That's about right. It's too cold right now to go look.
It goes through a hole in the bottom of the vent box ?
There should be a shoulder cast in the box, bracket, something to prevent its turning / keep the hook faceing the rim in the cowl.

I just took mine apart. The hook hangs on a lip on underdash sheet metal. The shaft goes through the bracket in the vent box. There's a nut and washer on the end that provides the adjustment to take up the weight of the box.

-
Back