A/C leak detectors

-

BWDart

Reaction score
What's a good brand to buy and do they work for r-12 and 134 or are they specific to the refrigerant? I need one for my 93 dodge van and the Dart when it goes back together.
Thanks

Have you tried soap bubbles first, or soapy water in a spray bottle, to see if you can find any obvious leaks? I have had good luck with the soapy water about 80% of the time.

Common areas are condensor leaks from rocks or other road debris, and compressor end cap seals

I've never had a problem with any brand as long as it's virgin freon. I've seen some problems with recycled stuff. Get one with a dye in it that matches your system requirements and you're good to go. If the leak is in a spot you can see (ie. evaporator core), you may need to get a sniffer or go to a shop that has one.

Thanks for the info
I was thinking about a sniffer because the van has rear a/c with lines running all the way to the back.

I like putting a black light type dye in them anyway, just as a matter of course, that way if you have a real slow leak or develope one later, you can see where it is without have to add it later to diagnose it.

Our Explorer has a slow leak. Have had it to two different shops, neither can find the leak. A few years ago the Carquest I used to deal with offered me a smoking deal on the 30 (?) lb bottle of 134, so at the beginning of every summer I just top it off, and if it is empty just throw a vac pump on it then refill it. One of the yahoos just wanted to tear into the dash, you could damn near see the $$ signs in his eyes....

Topping it off every year is a bad idea because the charge is never right. If you put a vacuum pump on a system that all the refrigerant leaked out of with out fixing the leak than all you are doing is sucking in more air and moisture. A good leak detector is the Johnson controls H10G, its the only one I use and I've tried them all. Its a bit pricey at about $600.00. I'm sure many will disagree with me but I never use dye. Your best bet is to find someone that knows what they're doing and does a good job with out ripping you off.(good luck with that).

You could also pressurize the system with nitrogen (about 300 psi) and find the leak with a ultrasonic (sound) leak detector. They run about $200.00 - $300.00 and have many other uses so it may be a better investment if your not doing a lot of a/c work.

-
Back