A case for monkey see monkey do??

-

BigWhip

New to Mopar land
Reaction score
I have just look at the George Klass site that zhandful posted. A great site with some great cars. But I notice none of the cars has screws in the wheels to help hold the slicks.

My question has anyone on this site ever spun a tire on a rim so far it would tare the Schrader valve off a tube? If not why are you screwing up your wheels or this a act of "monkey see monkey do"?:wack:

Michael

The slicks back then had no where near the grip slicks have now...hence the need for the screws.

Not sure what the "back then" time frame is you're referencing since the George Klass thread covered a large time period, but I had screws holding the slicks on my '69 Dart that I built to run NHRA Super Street in the late 70s. Common practice at that time here in SoCal.

racing_tires_05.jpg
Here we show how we help thread wheel screws into our new rims. Screws are essential for a slick with tubes. We bought special Moroso wheels screws, drilled eight holes in each side of our two Centerline wheels (following the manufacturer’s recommended drill size), then chased each hole with a screw, helped along with a squirt of oil.
No. 6 - Should I use rim screws with Mickey Thompson slicks?
Starting line launches can cause the rim to spin inside the tire, which can be hazardous. If you are not sure your rim is doing this, mark the tire and wheel with a line to gauge tire slippage on the wheel. Also, check for tire slippage when you check your tire pressure after each pass. If it moves one-half to one inch, you should use rim screws. But do not use rim screws on radial tires unless they move on the rim.

Not sure what the "back then" time frame is you're referencing since the George Klass thread covered a large time period, but I had screws holding the slicks on my '69 Dart that I built to run NHRA Super Street in the late 70s. Common practice at that time here in SoCal.

Yup....by the late 70's it was common practice just about everywhere,not just SoCal.

Thanks guys
I just hate the way it looks and you never see them on the road race cars and the Nascar cars.

Thanks guys
I just hate the way it looks and you never see them on the road race cars and the Nascar cars.

Because (generally), they are not launching with super soft tires 16 times in a night in your usual bracket race after a burnout. 60' ft times don't win a NASCAR race. :)

-
Back