A couple of questions about the 5.9 Mag swap

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I can get a pan no problem but do you guys know where to get the center sump oil pickup tube?
If someone has one reasonable I would be interested, but I don't need any "Hemi" parts if you know what I mean. :D
Or even just a part number for a new one would be nice.

The other question is does the 5.9 balancer fit the seal area of the 318 LA timing cover?
I don't see anything anywhere about that specifically.

OH, also I didn't see anything specific about using the LA motor dip stick and tube, or what to do about that.
I would think since it's getting a center sump pan it would be fine to use the LA tube and stick, but not sure.

Thanks everyone.

I bought a brand new tube and screen for around 20 bucks at orielys but I haven't bolted it in yet so we'll see if it works. I bought it for a 74 dart.

I can get a pan no problem but do you guys know where to get the center sump oil pickup tube?
If someone has one reasonable I would be interested, but I don't need any "Hemi" parts if you know what I mean. :D
Or even just a part number for a new one would be nice.

The other question is does the 5.9 balancer fit the seal area of the 318 LA timing cover?
I don't see anything anywhere about that specifically.

OH, also I didn't see anything specific about using the LA motor dip stick and tube, or what to do about that.
I would think since it's getting a center sump pan it would be fine to use the LA tube and stick, but not sure.

Thanks everyone.

Yes on dipstick & tube,Greg As for 318 LA seal,360 balancer: I used a stock 360 LA timing cover,& seal. Simply look up online,if a 360 & 318 T.C. seal are the same damn part number...(not positive a 318 LA timing cover, fits a 360 LA\Magnum..360 LA to Magnum, easy peasy).

Yes on dipstick & tube,Greg As for 318 LA seal,360 balancer: I used a stock 360 LA timing cover,& seal. Simply look up online,if a 360 & 318 T.C. seal are the same damn part number...(not positive a 318 LA timing cover, fits a 360 LA\Magnum..360 LA to Magnum, easy peasy).

Thanks guys.
I figured if no one knew for sure I would look them up by part number. :D
Same with the timing cover by looking up the gasket/seal set.

I show the same part numbers for the seal and gasket set for the 318 and 360, so that should answer that question. :D

Also found the pickup tube for around 20 bucks.

I put the timing cover from my 72 318 on my 98 5.9 without an issue, balanced went right in. Also I think Mancini has decent prices on pickups, I bout one used from a member but for a few bucks more could've gotten a new one and not need to worry if there was crud in it.

Pickup....

http://www.manciniracing.com/mopenstocpas.html

I put the timing cover from my 72 318 on my 98 5.9 without an issue, balanced went right in. Also I think Mancini has decent prices on pickups, I bout one used from a member but for a few bucks more could've gotten a new one and not need to worry if there was crud in it.

Pickup....

http://www.manciniracing.com/mopenstocpas.html

Thanks for that, and I ordered one from Jegs and a stock center sump oil pan to go with it.

It was 30 bucks, but like you said, it's new and never used.

Part number 312-P4529563

Did you happen to see where it isn't available in the store so with shipping we're looking at almost 40 bucks?
After a few days this whole "not available in the store so we will have one shipped to you for 2x the actual shipping cost" is getting frickin old.

O' really's doesn't take Paypal either and that is what I use almost exclusively, unless I walk in an buy something.

Thanks for the effort all the same though.

Did you happen to see where it isn't available in the store so with shipping we're looking at almost 40 bucks?
After a few days this whole "not available in the store so we will have one shipped to you for 2x the actual shipping cost" is getting frickin old.

O' really's doesn't take Paypal either and that is what I use almost exclusively, unless I walk in an buy something.

Thanks for the effort all the same though.

All I did was call them they got it in the next and out the door around 21 bucks with tax. I don't ship stuff to my door though I'm old fashion.

All Magnums use the 360 oil pan. 360s do not share an oil pan with 273s, 318s, 340s, or poly motors. The rear is where the difference is so the timing cover's the same.

All Magnums use the 360 oil pan. 360s do not share an oil pan with 273s, 318s, 340s, or poly motors. The rear is where the difference is so the timing cover's the same.

Correct, but there is a small difference as far as the one piece and four piece gaskets go and the notches at the corners of the pan.
To use the one piece rubber gasket those notched in areas need to be flattened out.

Milodon 18650 ment for Chryslers 318/340/360 center sump

So I guess if you want to kick in the extra 200 or so for the pan, required oil pump and pickup for it I will put it on.
Otherwise a new stock center sump pan and pickup tube is going on this daily driver. for 75 bucks.

-
Back