a couple of top questions?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
I have a 69 barracuda convertible and I am in the process of stripping it to the bare bones I just took the trim sticks off where the bottom of the top staples to. In the process I broke four of the bolts is there anyplace that sells these replacement bolts? Also is there anything special that you have to do if you take the plastic tubes off of the top pump? I'm sure it will leak out it's hydraulic fluid should I plug the openings on the pump and the cylinders? I also have to remove the top frame should I take a scribe and mark where the frame bolted to the body? Let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Pat Faley
69 Barracuda convertible project
East Peoria IL

I have a 69 barracuda convertible and I am in the process of stripping it to the bare bones I just took the trim sticks off where the bottom of the top staples to. In the process I broke four of the bolts is there anyplace that sells these replacement bolts? Also is there anything special that you have to do if you take the plastic tubes off of the top pump? I'm sure it will leak out it's hydraulic fluid should I plug the openings on the pump and the cylinders? I also have to remove the top frame should I take a scribe and mark where the frame bolted to the body? Let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Pat Faley
69 Barracuda convertible project
East Peoria IL

I have a dart convertible but the tops are the same as well as procedure.

The guy that put my top on said I should have drilled a couple of 1/8" holes on the frame before unbolting it. These are used as a lineup when reinstalling. If you just scribe it then paint you loose the marks.

I left my cylinders and pump connected when I removed the top. I never opened it up to this day.

Unless you need to replace the tubing leave it connected, but if you do want to replace tubing, would do it off the car to keep the oil out of the car. Just don't kink the tubing when removing.

I have some barracuda convertible parts might have the bolts. Post a picture of them and measurements.

If you need any boot well trim let me know think I have it all

I have my boot well trim and have shipped it out to be polished waiting for to come back but those bolts for the trim sticks are in bad shape and need to replace most of them I post a pic of them tomorrow thanks for the advice on the top pump. did pull the cylinders off the car or leave them attached to the frame along with the pump?
Pat

I removed the cylinders and pump together from the frame.

Had the frame painted off the car.

Kind of difficult, but not impossible to wire pump to frame and leave it together

I have my boot well trim and have shipped it out to be polished waiting for it to come back but those bolts for the trim sticks are in bad shape and need to replace most of them. I will post a pic of them tomorrow thanks for the advice on the top pump. did you pull the cylinders off the car or leave them attached to the frame along with the pump?
Pat
Here is the picture of the bolts. There should be ten of them according to the number of holes in the trim sticks. As you can tell from the picture I have nine even counting the three that I broke and as you can tell they aren't in the best of shape.

Attachments

• convert top bolts 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 238
  • convertible top bolts 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 279
Don't know if they are there.

The stuff is in Indy and I will check next time I'm up there. I think the metal pieces that they go thru is there, so the bolts might be.

Wild cat
I was looking at the pump last night how do you take it off of the metal piece it is sitting on? It looks like it is attached with rubber grommets what a ***** that will be trying to get those back in. If you know a better way please let me know thanks
Pat

Checked yesterday and didn't find any of those bolts

Have the pump, all the tack stripes stainless trim but never found the cool whip bowl with the bolts. I'm sure good at loosing stuff

Sorry

You can bet a few of those bolts have been left out by others. Only ones that are critical position are the ends.
If I was going to the trouble to get the broken piece of bolt out, I would buy 10 new stainless bolts and a stick of aluminum ( easier to drill than stainless ) to make the wing washers.
FYI factory used a lead/zinc coating on a lot of their steel hardware similar to what is used on chain link fencing.

I was missing several on my car as well. i evenly spaced the originals then used hardware store bolts with washers to fill in the rest. i do not remember the size, but they do the same job. Hope that helps ya.

Wild cat I was looking at the pump last night how do you take it off of the metal piece it is sitting on? It looks like it is attached with rubber grommets what a ***** that will be trying to get those back in. If you know a better way please let me know thanks Pat

The rubber grommets actually slide back in easy- I just put some dish soap on them.

In regards to the hydraulic lines: If you have never replaced them... its worth the $100! When I had my interior out to put in my new carpet, I moved the lines and one of them cracked right in my hand! After pulling them out, I discovered they were obviously the originals and very brittle. Glad I did this BEFORE I put my new carpet in. Who knows when they were gonna blow... When removing... I just wrapped an old towel around them- the only fluid that came out was what was in the lines.
See my Member Renovation #38

Attachments

• broke line2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 167
  • broke line 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 158
-
Back