A Couple questions????

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
My engine is ready to put together with the 10.5:1 Egge pistons. My machinest milled the heads just to clean, about ten thousands. The block was not decked at all. The new head gaskets are about sixty thousands with the universal big bore in them. I really don't want to loose that much compression. Do I have any options?
Also, I am going to use the stock 273 2V exhaust manifolds. Can I buy a replacement heat shield similiar to the stock one? Why does the left side have an Exhaust "gasket" (heat shield) and the right side none? I guess there is no chance of finding original equipment head gaskets. ALSO!!!!! The KH SBP disc conversion I bought from a FABO member came with a bent bolt that attaches the lower ball joint to the spindle and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions there? As usual, all advice is much appreciated.
TIA, Rat:-D

The only one I know an answer to is there are numerous Head gaskets out there so it shouldn't be hard to find something thinner and with a smaller bore. I ordered a set of Cometic's from FBO for my 408 build and they made them to the thickness I wanted (.040") and the appropriate bore size. They make them as thin as .030" if I remember right.

you can use a regular bolt for the lbj bolt. Just make sure it is above grade 5. and it should not be threaded all the way or it will act like a saw when it vibrates. Use a nylock nut.

The MP thin head gaskets are fine for the 273. Still big bore but only .028" thick compressed.

-
Back