A day in the Magnum

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals;

I just felt like I had to write today. It was a good day in the lower 60"s and needed to take a few runs to clear up loose ends. Thats the best thing about working midnights. All day to pull off what you need to or want to do.

So, as the story gets underway, I'm off and running around in the Magnum. I pull into the auto parts store. Some fella was walking out and has his eyes glued to the car. "I had one of those years back." At least this guy, when he started talking turkey, he showed his smarts by way of actually owning one. The little things about a '79 era Dodge we know about.

Burn 15 min.'s talkin.

OK, no problem, go inside to order Valve cover gaskets and such. Kid behind the counter is the new guy. Ray, a fella whos been there and done some of that for awhile now helps him out and tell's him to just listen to me. And follow directions without question. "You'll see he says" to the kid.

"What's a Magnum?" he says.

LOL, OK, burn another 20 min.'s outside talkin. He he he.

OK, weird, they actually had nothin for me. For a change. They allmost allways have what I'm looking for. Well, I'm off to the dealer. There closer than the specialty auto stores that can get anything. Off to get gromets and gaskets again.

Cruisin down the main drag, some kid I slowly noticed is driving his POS Honda. No rice rocketer here, just simply doing a double take at the fender nameplate. I realize this, slow down in traffic and dip the passenger window.

"WOW man! I didn't know they made them a long time ago." (Thanks, I feel old now. He he he.) A min. or 2 pass and he turns off with a thumbs up.

I get to the dealer and see Dick behind the counter. Good fella whos been in the biz since the Ramcharger days. Start talking. Other ears perk up. Strangers come in closer and say, "You have a what!?... Get out, let me see."

20 min.'s later, I'm screamin lunch!! Crap, I started this adventure at like 10 O'clock. It's freakin 12 now. I guess I spent more time talking than drivin!

I leave the pizza joint and hit the road. Of course, there is allways a clown that thinks there crap box is faster than yours and they need to be infront of you even though behind you is a ghost town of a road. I dip into the secondarys of a fully warmed up 400 and let'er rip. The new 3.55's out back are a nice addition for the daily driver.

The car wakes up and with a roar, chirps second well. The car leaps at that point and takes half of his car from my view. I'm content in just pulling infront of him. Hell, theres not much room in front of me, why do you need to be there. Take a freakin Valium and relax. Theres a red light up there anyway. Sheeeezzzz.

He backs it down to take a spot from the wide open hi-way. Thank you mister, now slow down some more before you miss the turn off......dummy.

I come to the red stoplight and a car to my right gives me a thumbs up while he giggling at the dusting I handed out. The first fella runs up on my left with a disapproving smirk waving his hands around and speeds off. LOL, Ya, OK mister. Sorry to have ruined your day.

I guess it sucks being toasted by a crap box in your brand new car. He he he. All well, should have got a MoPar.

More adventures tomorrow I guess. It'll be Friday and the kids will be out tryin to show off whom is tuffest. I think I'll sit on the side lines and relax with a paper. It's allmost allways worth a giggle or 2.

ahh..... now there is a nice story if i ever heard one. i always love stories with happy endings! rumble you always have a way with words. nice to see the forgotten mopars still kicking ***! its all good:cheers:

Thanks dude. I have a bunch of days like this. The "Magnum" nameplate throws a few people a curve. The plate says, ""79MAGNM" So I gewt stares and gawks, people pointing. I pull into a 7-11 store for coffee and sometimes people are walking around it. You gotta expect it to a degree and understand that driving an old car can require a "chat" once in awhile. Sometimes even a history lesson.

I'm also the type of guy that dosen't mind stopping and talking about the car and cars in general if you ask. I allmost allways can spare a few min.'s to chat. I have no problem 99% of the time.
If I do, I tell ya "Sorry, next time, I can't stay, in a rush, under the gun, gotta run. I'm sorry, I'm in a mucho big rush and gotta go. Sorry. Look up MagnumXE .com or something for info, sorry, gotta run, by now. ( LOL and I'm ruuuuninnn.) (Forest Gump)

Cool Rumble! Sounds like a great day. I remember A guy about a block away had a new Magnum 400. I always liked that car.

I always used to hear "Cool old Blazer" or "Damn, that's the biggest Bronco I've ever seen, what year is it?" when I was cruisin' in the Ramcharger. I grabbed a tailgate out of the boneyard from a '72 W-200 pickup with the old school style "DODGE" stamped in the back in 5" tall letters. Hopefully that'll put a stop to that crap. lol!

-
Back