A few minor electrical questions (68 Barracuda Dash).

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
A few minor electrical questions (68 Barracuda Dash).

So over the years my car has sat, allot. After I got it up on it's feet again I decided to touch up the electrical with a good cleaning.

I have cleaned grounds, connectors, changed bulbs, replaced the headlight and dimmer switch. (Surprising how beautifully the dash is illuminated with clean connections, polished lenses and new bulbs).

I do have some questions.

1)...My left turn indicator does not light up on my dash. The exterior turn signals DO work just fine. I have used my test light on the connector that would feed the pin that goes to the dash indicator light. I do not have power there and am having trouble following where this power would come from, using the service manual wiring diagram.

2)...My oil pressure gauge shows slight pressure (moves to first thin hash mark) with the key in the "ON" position. Works normally with the car running (verified against a mechanical gauge).

Is this an indicator of a problem or a calibration issue with the factory gauge?

1....This very simply branches out "somewhere" in the harness feeding between the TS switch connector and the bulkhead connector leading to the front TS lamps. I don't recall off hand. According to the diagram this happens right at the TS switch harness connector. Look at the connector and see if there are TWO light green wires coming out of the connector. One goes through the bulkhead, the other goes to the cluster

2....I think this is "as normal" as you can expect. You could take an ohmeter with engine off, disconnect oil sender, and see what the resistance is. It should read at least 70 ohms or higher. These are mechanical internally, so are subject to failure, as is any other device. The operate "sorta like" a mechanical gauge hooked up to a fuel sender!!!

Thanks, that points me in a direction. I have not touched the TS connector. After 40+ years it could probably use some attention.

Problem solved on the left turn indicator. I didn't fully tighten the ground screw next to the bulb and/or unplugging and re-plugging TS switch harness connector solved it.

-
Back