A few of tonight's fireworks

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Got some good shots this year. Rode the trike, mostly "on electric" down to the beach, negotiated the wall to wall everything, and set up both 7D's one with a 17-55 2.8 lens, the other with a Sig 12_24. Just thumbed one shutter as best I could at 2 sec. exposure, the other had on "bulb" with a remote

Attachments

• _MG_6994cs.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 117
  • _MG_7116cs.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 123
  • _MG_7117cs.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 122
  • _MG_6868cs.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 114
  • _MG_6917cs.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_6980cs.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 121
Awesome stuff Del...I was hoping you would start a thread with pics....you always have awesome pics and it makes me really want to invest in a nice camera and get more involved in photography...love it!!! I just have an old cheap camera I use :banghead:

There IS a lot of luck and happenchance, and a LOT of missed / duds. The fireworks themselves don't help, with some being delayed, multiple shots which sometimes don't make good photos, and so on

You don't need a really good camera, but you DO need one than can, and that you have learned, to operate in manual mode.

1--You need some kind of tripod, period. You don't need a lot of money into one, and in fact I've found some very good ones on Craigslist at a good price

2--You need a really wide lens setting. Pointing the camera is a guess after the first few shots, and you might lose a few that are extra high or extra low.

3--You want a fairly small lens opening. Settings in a PS camera might not relate so much to a DSLR, but generally you want a fairly slow ISO -- 100 or 200, and a fairly small aperture, again in DSLR terms, F8 is probably way too wide, F11 and smaller.

4--Shutter is experimental. 1, or 2 seconds or "bulb" if the camera has that setting and if you have a way to fire it and not move it.

This is the first year I tried to cameras. I set one up at 2 seconds shutter, with the 17-55 at 17mm, and it turns out I missed a few of the high shots as the camera was aimed too low---and cut off the tops of the shot

You don't want to see too much brightness in the LCD. Even in the dark, it "looks" dark, and the exposure is not much help because of the nature of the light.

-
Back