a good forward pattern manual valve body

-

345man2

Reaction score
building a 416 hopefully round 550 hp or so everyone says a forward pattern valve body wont work great need a reverse pattern, cause it makes more pressure, does anyone make a forward pattern manual pattern v body that will work? thanks:-D

building a 416 hopefully round 550 hp or so everyone says a forward pattern valve body wont work great need a reverse pattern, cause it makes more pressure, does anyone make a forward pattern manual pattern v body that will work? thanks:-D

Never heard of a reverse pattern valve body making more pressure than a forward pattern unit. Check with ATI, A-1, Cope Transmissions etc. or buy a Transgo TF-3 full manual shift kit and do it yourself.

My Demon that I just got has a RMVB and I kinda hate it. I am used to the forward pattern, and besides, at the end of a run on the reverse VB you can't just slip the trans into neutral to avoid deceleration on the alum con rods.

Kenny Ford at PTC in Muscle Shoals, Al built mine with forward manual vb

I got mine from A&A Transmission, Rick Allison. With low band applied. Use it in my street Dart.

If it's a street car forget the RMVB and go with a good shift kit or the Cheetah Pro Street Part #17676 is a built valve body that gives you manual in 1 and 2 and auto in D plus it has low band apply which is a must with any TF trans .

right now its got the cheetah one made for the kickdown to still work , would the manual one be any better?

I've used a Auto/man VB like you have now in a higher HP car. Not near 550 hp, more like 425, but it worked fine. They were from ATI, and granted this was years ago. I think your clutch's, plate count, etc, will have more to do with durability using that power then the VB. The few I used shifted strong, especially for street use.

I use A&A and MSP valve bodies, no issues.

The only issue i know of between the 2 are if you let someone drive your car, one will have them taking off in 3rd

Never liked or could get used to reverse style shifting...

The RP works really well with a stock shifter since you hit the gates on each upshift.

I use a cheetah VB. Not sure what they make for a FW pattern but their stuff is top notch. My last car had their pro street FP valve body.

Find a new "everyone". Operating pressures are higher for any performance valve body. Too much is just as bad as not enough, and they are all pretty close in terms of operating pressures. So just find a FP from a reputable company if that's what you want. They are usually a little more $$ because there's a little more engineering in them.

thanks for all the great info my I turned my 340 combo to7200 on shift and the 416 will prob shift around 6600 wonder if that will make the 2 to 3 shift firmer, just wondering goin give some of the above places a call next week

-
Back