A good start?

-

cowboyup1107

Reaction score
I have a line on a 360 out of a 1974 ramcharger. Is this a good start? are the heads on it good for building any power. I dont know a whole lot about this motor but as information comes avalible I will fill you guys all in. thank you.

Yes, it will be a good engine for you.

The heads are fine. You can have 2.02 intake valves put in them and a little clean up porting and they will be great on the street.

Since it is a truck engine, the oil pan and pickup are different. You will have to get an oil pan and pickup tube for a car, but that's no big deal.

will my pickup tube and oil pan from my 318 work? thank you for the quick response.

Nope. 360 LA pan has a smaller "half moon" around the rear main. You'll either need the 360 converter, or buy a B*M weighted flex plate to make up the balance difference.

What year car is this going in? Water pump, etc might be different.

As stated, 318 oil pan/pick up tube will not work. I HIGHLY recommend either buying a balanced flex plate or have your machine shop balance the one off the 318. I had this done for 45 bucks. The truck converter will most likely be to tight of a stall, and you'll not like it. Your converter in your dart will work fine if you balance the flexplate. If the water pump is different, the 318 water pump will bolt right on the 360.

The 318 pickup tube will work, but the oil pan won't. I would buy a new pickup tube from Napa, they are like $17.

You can buy a pan from Summit.

The 318 pickup tube will work, but the oil pan won't. I would buy a new pickup tube from Napa, they are like $17.

You can buy a pan from Summit.
The oil pan on most trucks and cars are different to the tune of one being a center pickup and the other being a front pickup. I cant say for sure on a '74, but if its like other trucks you'll need a pickup tube also. Check ebay, pans and pickup tubes are plentiful

thanks for all the info. This motor came with a edelbrock performer intake and my 318 has the edelbrock LD4B. Which of these intake manifolds is a better performer?

-
Back