A Great Man Passed Away Today

-
I really appreciate all the kind words! His name was Hollis Wesley Walker but everyone in the region new him as Corky. He got that nickname in the Army I believe.

The picture is being framed and will be one of the pictures presented at his visitation and funeral. I won't be on the sight for a few days as I am leaving today to travel back for the funeral.

I am a singer/songwriter so I will be playing 2 songs at his funeral. I will play his favorite song in the world first and then a song I wrote about him a few years ago. Thanks again FABO!

Post the lyrics when you get back--Safe travels to you and your family--Steve

A post in memoriam of him and all the WWII vets.

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQOzUqdOVDU"]U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club - U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - YouTube[/ame]

prayers sent for a terrific Grandpa... looks like he set the bar pretty high for those that follow

sounds like he was a great guy and lived a good life.

Thanks again FABO for the kind words. We drove back to Tennessee last night in a blizzard! Our normal 7 hour drive turned into a 13 hour drive.

The funeral went great and it was an awesome tribute to a wonderful man. I barely got through my song. It was an informal funeral and anyone who wanted to stand up and tell a story about my Grandpa was allowed to do so. I was AMAZED at some of the stories I didn't even know about. He was such a positive influence in so many lives!

I also got a copy of this picture I had never seen before. I am amazed at how cool he always looked without even trying. This is him and my aunt when she was little.

Attachments

• Grandpa 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 53
-
Back