A hot rodder in 1937

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
This is Dudley Thickens, a friend of my father's (both deceased), driving his hot rod in 1937. I like the picture, and hope you do, too. My Dad told me this is how they used to do it. I'm not sure what kind of chassis this is; do you?

Dudley Thickens.jpg

EDIT: Since 1937 was probably one of the worst years for the economy during the Depression, I would imagine that lack of money was one of the main reasons they built their rods this way. For example, my Dad graduated from high school in Nebraska that year, and although he was offered a full scholarship to the University of Nebraska, he was so tired of being poor that he turned it down, hitchhiked to California and got a job with a company that made linoleum and roofing materials instead.

Last edited:
I'm more familiar with Model A's but that looks like A Model T to me.

Probably stripped it down to keep up with the Dodge Brother products.

I'm more familiar with Model A's but that looks like A Model T to me.

Probably stripped it down to keep up with the Dodge Brother products.

That engine does not look like either A or T. At least I cannot see an A distributor, and the manifold layout is very much different from a T. Also the shape and approach of the manifolds. Interesting.

Example of a T

199263_Engine_Web.png

Last edited:
Model A example. Note the distributor. Can't see such in the photo

image815158398.jpg

That guy never wore a man purse, took a sip of a mocha latte, and would knock your teeth out if you gave him a bro hug.

Looks like a model T with a side draft carb

Bill, that's really badass. Thank you for sharing.

-
Back