A list of Fab tools needed?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
What tools are you guy's using to fab the headers,exhaust,ect....?

Mig welding or Stick? Low hyd rod?

I would like to use the butt weld engineering tubing?

I have to get my garage together first!

14" chopsaw is what I used but a bandsaw would be best. Mig welder with 75/25 Argon a must!! Cutoff tool, bodysaw helped. Angle grinder, a good file and definitly use Several V-band kits....

Minimum 5hp 150 psi line pressure air compressor with lots of volume....no 20 gallon compressor.....more like 150-200 gallon

Chop Saw

Angle Grinder

Bench Grinder

"Portable 6" Jaw" Bandsaw

Table Belt Sander

Miller Syncrowave 180 SD Tig Welder

Craftsman hand tools

Rotary 9000lb lift

Cherry Picker

Engine Stand

Plasma Cutter

Plasma Cutter???

Dont have one---Do think a small $500 dollar unit would cut the Mustard?
Fancy ones are expensive!

compressor.....more like 150-200 gallon PRINE -ur messin with me right?I am buying a Turbo I am not hooking my compressor up to the car! LOL Need alot of hose

What tools are you guy's using to fab the headers,exhaust,ect....?

Mig welding or Stick? Low hyd rod?

I would like to use the butt weld engineering tubing?

I have to get my garage together first!

What prine said -

at least:

band saw,
belt sander,
5-7# hammer,
angle grinder,
tig welder,
air grinder,
big 'ole vice, big!

best manifolds i've seen are 304l sch.40 butt weld pipe and be sure to chamfer the straight sections. 1.5" pipe has an ID just over 1.5" which i've seen flow over 800whp on 4cyls. i forget the rod type we used for the tig. i haven't worked at a shop for six years and even then i was a desk jockey but i did all the purchasing and was a weekend warrior. make sure to get abrasives designed for hard 304 or else you'll blow 'em up way too fast.

I only have a Mig and Arc??? Tig is out of my budget$$$$
I wll pick up a HF belt sander on the way home and a bigger vice
This is going to take some practice!!!!!!
I made my own headers once and it was tough!!! Dint come out so good-LEAKS
I AM PRETTY GOOD WITH MIG AND ARGO THOUGH try that route i guess

this is how its done....Twin Garrett Ball Bearing GT42R's on a 500+ ci BB Chevy.

TurboBBCHeader02.jpg

TurboBBCHeader.jpg

TurboBBCHeader04.jpg

TurboBBCHeader09.jpg

SBM Flange specs...but use 3/8" instead of 1/2".
SBMoparExhaustFlange.jpg

I would love to see your Interpretation.....I intend to do it one day when Finances allow.....but I am just a lowly Ford Dealership Service Tech...and havent hit the lotto yet.

Hey prine,thanks for that sbm template. Do you have a big block mopar one?

What do you use to bend your tubing?

If you are building headers you can buy Pre bent pieces and put the puzzle together. Most guys do that instead of bending their own pipe. Some have the Skilzz and the bender but most don't. Skilzz and a box of bends will work!

What Madart said. You get " J " bends in the desired diameter....and use your Portable Bandsaw, and bench belt sander to shape each section into the desired conform.

Do a little research into materials for exhaust applications Here:
http://www.stainlessheaders.com/index.aspx

What Madart said. You get " J " bends in the desired diameter....and use your Portable Bandsaw, and bench belt sander to shape each section into the desired conform.

Do a little research into materials for exhaust applications Here:
http://www.stainlessheaders.com/index.aspx

What about buying shorties and turning them around or Hugger truck headers and starting with a full header vs building a header piece by piece???
I dont know if i have the skills to build my own header. Try'd it once and was not easy!

What about buying shorties and turning them around or Hugger truck headers and starting with a full header vs building a header piece by piece???
I dont know if i have the skills to build my own header. Try'd it once and was not easy!

Answered my own question with research-SURE!!!!!
They are doing it this way in a 54 plymouth in Truckin. They are using huggers and
coming off them

-
Back