A little advice please

-

jimmys_64_dart

Reaction score
Hello everyone I recently got a free 68 Galaxie 500 XL Fastback given to me by my inlaws. I know this is a Mopar forum but hear me out. The car currently has a 427 in it and I want to put in a 5.9 24Valve Cummins in it instead. I know I will need the motor mounts, engine wiring harness, computer, tranmisiion and all the trans components, so my question is what else will need to be done? Also can anyone give any input on how to make the speedo work and other sensors work with an original gauge cluster or will I have to build a custom cluster? I welcome any and all input, opinions, advice, etc on this subject.

Custom Cummins install on a ford? You are on your own.

If it is a factory 427 car you are really shooting your self in the foot with your plan.

Well-If you are in Independence MO I'll trade you a 93 one ton 5.9 then you wont need to change anything

Advice ?
With all due respect...Search out a Galaxie forum.

If this is a real "R" code, you are ruining a fairly rare car. Sell it to someone that will appreciate it. The cost to install a diesel will far outweigh the the cost to leave it original and will totally ruin the value of the car.

Why would you want to wreck a rare car like that?
Really?
Sell it and buy a Dodge diesel truck if you want a diesel engined vehicle to drive.
The Ford guys WILL lynch you, so be prepared.......
Just sayin'.

Here are some pics.
The car is missing almost everything like I said it was a drag car so it was stripped and gutted.

Attachments

• DSCI0042.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCI0043.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCI0044.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCI0045.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCI0046.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 372
I bet some Ford guy would love to have it and fix it up.
The Cummins would be too tall to fit under the hood and be a nightmare to install and make it work.
Also it is VERY heavy and the whole front suspension and brakes wouldn't take it.

You are VERY foolish if you seriously plan to butcher the car like that. A FE equipped Galaxie in a XL (luxury) model is a fairly rare car as not alot were produced or more importantly remain out there. Do yourself & others a favor-either finish off the car "all Ford" or sell it to someone that can appreciate it & do it justice. A cummins powered Ford of that size will be nose-heavy, complicated, ill-handling & a "bastrad" that noo one will admire, respect or show interest in

Leave it all Ford, that 427 would eat that Cummins(without a lot of mods) alive, why change it? Looks like a nice straight car too.

I agree with the mob. Too nice to ruin, assuming not too much rust. If too many parts are missing, find a rusted out donor car.

My dad had a 68 Ford Custom (cheapo model with the same body) with a 302 and a 3 on the tree. He sold it in the 70's for $800. I got to take the money and watch it drive off while dad was at work. That was the most money I had ever held at the time. He replaced it with a 1970 Plymouth Fury Custom Suburban station wagon with a 383.

I have done cummins inplants. What year are you looking to install? late 91 -93 is the easiest. No harness and has a speedo cable. They also can be turned up mechanically. no no ECM. One wire for fuel cut off. and and a toggle on a timer for intake heater for cold starts.and one for OD if needed. The I have done newer conversions Painless makes the harness, But you need a 2003 standard shift ECM without century Key . I was fortunate Mine had century key but I have a Dodge Dealer as a sponser . They installed a update using a vin. from a customers fleet truck. I would destroy a big block car with a full frame to do what you are asking in a heartbeat. 6000 lb. trucks go 10's in a quarter at 25 mpg. With fuel the way it is I'm thinking a 4 bt turbo out of a case skid steer in a demon or dart, No room for a intercooler in a duster.

Some of these guys never owned a diesel, So they don't have a clue why you want to do this. My 93 with an 05 would hold its own against many built V-8's and it was 4x4 with 38's.

The truck was gas with a blower motor. The cummins had twice the HP and torque at over 25 mpg.

Note the truck was changed to a 93 . 90 and earlier didn't have the grille moved forward for an intercooler Early Ford power stroke have the best intercoolers . welded aluminum can be modified,

I say go for it. Its better than any big block for the street. And screw that ford. You will only be improving it.

Attachments

• tr2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 356
  • steve 026.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCF2848.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCF2849.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 10.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 4.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 5.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 389
  • steve 030.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 349
There are many on the streets . chevelle with a Cummins. 87 grand national with a duramax, Nova with a 4BT. 67 fairlane gt with a ford 7.3 P.S. Go to you tube and do searches . You all will have a rude awakening. Big blocks have nothing on any cummins. And they are not as tall as you think. No Carb. and air breather on top.

Real motors don't have sparkplugs. If it don't smoke black take it back. I would never buy a gas truck after owning , driving and towing with a diesel. Gas trucks are worthless pieces of crap. I had them all small and big blocks with superchargers. They do not compare to any Diesel. Gas trucks are pigs. I'll hook my 05 cummins up to any dodge gas truck and pull it bacwards.

Thank you oldmanmopar for your understanding and support! If possible could I use you as a information source in the future as I get closer to the engine installing. I already know that the suspension and brakes will need to be beefed up.

I took some measurements and a 5.9 Cummins will fit with ease in the Galaxies engine bay. Despite all the unexpected nay saying I received I am gonna be moving forward with my Cummins powered 1968 Ford Galaxie 500XL Fastback. I wouldn't do it if I just intended to sell the vehicle upon completion of restoration, but I plan to use it as a family daily driver to avoid putting so many miles on my 1964 Dodge Dart 270 with a slant 6. I figure if I am gonna drive a asphalt boat might as well make sure it has the power and reliability of a Mopar with the gas economy of a newer sedan that only a diesel can provide in such a situation.

I like the concept, I had a Ford with a Mopar engine for a while and it was awesome to piss of the Ford guys. I like diesel trucks, but personally not a fan in cars. No good reason why. Did you consider an efi 5.0 and overdrive? A fox body or truck donor would be dirt cheap. If you want to go mopar an efi 5.2 or 5.9 swap would be cheap and easy, and I have a 68 fury driver setup that gets 20mpg with this combo. I say build whatever you want, that car is probably worth max 15k with a 30k resto.

Real motors don't have sparkplugs. If it don't smoke black take it back.
I'm shocked you didn't use the term "rolling coal" which is so popular with the guys who think they have fast trucks.
The best thing about them is that I'm always in front of them when the black smoke starts to fly lol.

I used to like this site because everyone tried to help each other out and give praise for new ideas, but now it is getting as bad as the ford and chevy sites with the member slander.

It is the 385 series 429. I was told it was a 427 but when they said it came out of a 73 Mercury I knew something was a miss so I cross referenced the Weiand intake to find out the correct engine size. Either way it is going bye bye.

I'm confused. Post #1, any advice,opinions,etc. are welcome. Post # 20, I used to like this site. I believe the key to hot rodding is,"It's your car,build it your way." Not every one is going to agree with it but they didn't build it. I've built a lot of "bastards" over the years. The best Ford I ever owned had a 396 under the hood. My point is it's your car. Start a build thread, dry your eyes and get after it.:coffee2:

-
Back