a little something for the auto-x guys

-

wracks71

Reaction score
some friends and i went to the peach state musclecar challenge last weekend and ran our junk. i ran my duster,setup for this sort of thing,in a sea of camaro's. not sure if the highlight for me was finishing 4th fastest on sunday,or getting to drive bill howell's charger! here is a video clip.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4sTibFkxTY"]YouTube- Peach State Musclecar Challenge Autocross - Wracker's 71 Duster - ProTouring[/ame]

Looks like you need more traction. Nice run!

i do! i need some sticky tires. next purchase. i was so proud of my car! she busted some serious camaro contenders that had four times the money in them. i am going to try to do the run through the hills event in sept. it is in pigeon forge,tn. it would be nice for some of you guys to come out and run or just root for the underdog mopar guy! info is on protouring.com

what have you done to the car suspension wise?

What your doing is what i wanna do with my duster.

Get the back down and use sliders, scrap the shackles... matter of fact get her a bit lower all around, lose the rubber go nylon...graphite on the bars... solid for the end links..

very nice parde..i ran my 70 Dart 340 4 spd here in co long ago through the steets of Parachute Co in a scca deal and whipped a 67 427 vette he was not happy...i was grinning ear to ear...your Duster gets around real nice congrats

looking good wracks. RTTH should be a good time. That's also the last opportunity to qualify for the OUSC... Get some stickies on that thing and see if you can represent in Vegas baby!

Looked Great,
I was a cone killer at one time. It is a lot more fun than drag racing and just wait until you do a solo 1 course.

Whip

thanks for all the support guys! here is a recap of my mods. uscartool weld in sub frames,firm feel stage 3 box,1 1/4" firm feel swaybar in front and 1" in the rear, poly rear bushings, 2" drop spindles in front,custom 2" blocks in the rear.
my question is,does anyone know how to get more flow out of a federal power steering box. i would be up for sending it to someone if i have to. any suggestions?

some pics
IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg
got to drive bill howell's charger!!

th_PSMC10093.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

th_PSMC10093.jpg

Thats just to cool you can make a Mopar handle like that with a few good planed mods. Nice work. What srpings/T-bars you running?

SS rear springs and i think the front bars are 1",they were on the car when i bought it.

thanks for all the support guys! here is a recap of my mods. uscartool weld in sub frames,firm feel stage 3 box,1 1/4" firm feel swaybar in front and 1" in the rear, poly rear bushings, 2" drop spindles in front,custom 2" blocks in the rear.

What shocks are you running.?

my question is,does anyone know how to get more flow out of a federal power steering box. i would be up for sending it to someone if i have to. any suggestions?

Yes,

1) remove federal pump

2) throw away federal pump

3) install saginaw pump with rear pressure oriface drilled 1/64" larger

4) Problem solved

Seriously John Sandburg has been autocrossing his 70 AAR since like 72. And it is a National Championship winning car in C-Prepared car. He always had problems with the Federal pump that came with that AAR. JOHN discovered the Saginaw pump could keep up with autocrossing and has never looked back.

I've had that same problem with the Federal pump that was on my 68 Dart and switched it for a Sagniaw. Perfect ever since. I think I got the Saginaw setup at swap meet or junkard for under $25.

is it me or does it seem like the duster still sits relatively high with the 2" drop? atleast when compared to that charger.

is it me or does it seem like the duster still sits relatively high with the 2" drop? atleast when compared to that charger.

the charger that is bill howell's is about a $60,000 car with extensive suspension work!

What shocks are you running.?

Yes,

1) remove federal pump

2) throw away federal pump

3) install saginaw pump with rear pressure oriface drilled 1/64" larger

4) Problem solved

Seriously John Sandburg has been autocrossing his 70 AAR since like 72. And it is a National Championship winning car in C-Prepared car. He always had problems with the Federal pump that came with that AAR. I discovered the Saginaw pump could keep up with autocrossing and has never looked back.

I've had that same problem with the Federal pump that was on my 68 Dart and switched it for a Sagniaw. Perfect ever since. I think I got the Saginaw setup at swap meet or junkard for under $25.

i am running single adjustable QA1'S. thanks for the advice. i read that online about the orifice on the saginaw. i also read that the federal pump would keep up better! i have two early saginaw's,but i think i am going to sell them and put a saginaw on then. any idea where i can get some mounts cheap? thanks!

... i also read that the federal pump would keep up better!

I doubt from someone that actually autocrossed thier car or tried both and compared.

People say that because cars with 3.55 or higher gears almost always get that pump. So they ASSUME the pump is better for keeping up.

Sometimes the factory is not always right. For years people like LEE Manufacting who pioneered power steering in NASCAR, sport racers, and open wheel dirt cars used those type Saginaw pumps (currently there are other better OE pumps modified for performance apps)

At one time, LEE Manf. made pumps and power steering systems for Petty and nearly all NASCAR. Lee Manf. has/will do contract and R&D work for auto manufactures.

i have two early saginaw's,but i think i am going to sell them and put a saginaw on then. any idea where i can get some mounts cheap? thanks!

What water pump do you run? Aluminum or the 69 and down cast iron setup?

I think you have aluminun, so you probably need like a 70-72 brackets. You need to properly ID what your have on there now to figure out what Saginaw brackets interchange.

I doubt from someone that actually autocrossed thier car or tried both and compared.

People say that because cars with 3.55 or higher gears almost always get that pump. So they ASSUME the pump is better for keeping up.

Sometimes the factory is not always right. For years people like LEE Manufacting who pioneered power steering in NASCAR, sport racers, and open wheel dirt cars used those type Saginaw pumps (currently there are other better OE pumps modified for performance apps)

At one time, LEE Manf. made pumps and power steering systems for Petty and nearly all NASCAR. Lee Manf. has/will do contract and R&D work for auto manufactures.

I have a Federal pump in my car and I like how it limits assist above ~3000 RPM. Makes it feel almost like manual steering when turning at speed.

I have a Federal pump in my car and I like how it limits assist above ~3000 RPM. Makes it feel almost like manual steering when turning at speed.

:shock: That's a twist on that idea.

-
Back