A picture would be nice...

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
As some of you are aware, I am converting from a column to a floor shifter in my '74 duster. I have a center console for it already, but need a shifter for it. What I would like to see, if any of yall have one, is pictures of the setup of how all of the console brackets, shifter linkage and brackets all go together !! I need to know what all I should be looking for before I make any final decisions. Thanks for any info and help you have !

Aaron

ask and you shall recieve

A Body Floor Shift wo Console.jpg

ALRIGHT !! that's some help i needed lol. Thanks Adam !! Just curious though is there a bracket on the front of the center console that you need or is the shifter attached to it to hold the front down? I have the rear bracket, and also on the inside of the console compartment is there some sort of inlay that allows the door to snap to because there is no way at all for the door latch to attach to anything and keep it shut. Thanks !!

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/A-body console tech/

There should be a small squared U shaped bracket that is held in place with 2 phillips screws on the inside of the console that the door latch connects to.

The very front bracket is the one that holds the front of the console and the one in the back holds the rear of the console, the middle one pretty much just holds the shifter and the top plate of the console has "pins"that line up with the holes in the bracket to center it.
The front bracket has one side that is taller than the other and will only fit one way.

Here are some pics of the mock up I did before scrapping the whole idea. Now Im going to make my own brackets and Im useing an in dash shifter out of a dodge truck/A100. It fits the hole in the console great after rewelding some of the mounting tabs.
DSC04172.jpg

DSC04174.jpg

Here are some pics of the new shifter set up.
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/Nikkis 72 scamp/Shifter ****/?start=all

Thank you very much for the pictures, that helps a lot ! I appriciate it =]

Aaron

Here's some picture of the shifter from my 68 Barracuda . It needs some clean up work but it might help out a bit. One of the pictures shows the u shaped bracket at the front of the shifter. It appears the set up didn't change much.
Hope this helps.

shifter.jpg

shifter3.jpg

shifter4.jpg

shifter5.jpg

shifter 2.jpg

shifter.jpg

shifter3.jpg

shifter4.jpg

shifter5.jpg

shifter 2.jpg

ALRIGHT !! that's some help i needed lol. Thanks Adam !! Just curious though is there a bracket on the front of the center console that you need or is the shifter attached to it to hold the front down? I have the rear bracket, and also on the inside of the console compartment is there some sort of inlay that allows the door to snap to because there is no way at all for the door latch to attach to anything and keep it shut. Thanks !!

Aaron, the glove box latch should have been in the glovebox. It looks
like a heavy wire that has been bent to shape. I put it in there
with the rear bracket.

Tony

Yes, I've seen it Tony, but the thing is, I don't know where to mount it to. I don't see anywhere on the compartment wall where it was ever mounted before ! I just thought a picture of where it was located would help me figure out where to screw it to the side of the wall.

The earliest consoles had next to nothing as a door catch since they had a spring loaded door. Later they dropped to spring and added a push button latch (same as glovebox button assembly on other models).
Thanks for the kind feedback Tony

Hmm.. well the door on it is spring loaded becaue when i lift it up it snaps back shut if I let go, but it also has a button on it as well. I'm getting confused here lol.

I got the pics on my camera I will have to post them for you later. Pulling the console out somehow turned into me cleanning my whole garage and now Nikki wants to go grocery shopping so I will load them when I get back if there is time.

haha do you get OCD at times ? lol I know how that goes, I go to pick out a shirt and come to find 10 minutes later I can actually see the bottom of my closet floor again because I just HAD to get everything organized... I hear it's because i'm a virgo.. not sure if that's true or not hahaha. ok that's fine no rush !

Hmm.. well the door on it is spring loaded becaue when i lift it up it snaps back shut if I let go, but it also has a button on it as well. I'm getting confused here lol.

I apologise for being wrong every chance I get.
So they didn't loose the spring when they added the latch. That would stop the door from bouncing on the catch and making noise.
I'll add some info I know to be fact. That little push button assembly has 2 tiny screws holding it together from the bottom up. Someday the guts will fall out and down into the compartment. I've seen console doors either bent bad or broken cause someone had to use a pry bar to get in. That little button assembly aint cheap but a new one now may be coins well spent.

alright that's exactly what i was looking for. Yes the compartment has no holes at all where you are showing the catch to be. I'm assuming the door top was replaced, but just with one that has a button latch. Thanks for the help guys and all the info ! i'll try and locate the holes so i know where to drill for.

Aaron

-
Back