A question for all.

-

iamphil

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I see many posts about "barn finds", be it to sell or keep. But how do you find "barn finds". I know they don't all come from "barns" or sheds. But where and how do you find them? I know you don't go sneaking up and look in peoples barns (good way to get shot) and then go offer them some $$ for what you see.

I ask because a lot of what I see posted as barn finds are exactly the kind of car I'm looking for. Good body, possibly running and cheap. Mid '60s "pony" type car. Maybe even other than mopar. But I don't see these kinds of cars when I go looking.

I know some of you might not want to share your secrets, but I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about this. So if anyone has any input on this, it would be much appreciated.

I found a "Barn Find" today, 1967 Dart GT 273, Red, white top, white interior. Guy says he's never going to do anything with it. Needs restored, top is shot, Interior is shot. Needs quarter work but it all there. It in Northern Pennsylvania so its not doing you any good. They are out there just have to knock on every door to find them. Iv'e known about this car since the early 90's its been inside.

My Buddy and I used to drive around in the country on weekend.We found cars all the time in yards,fields,barns,garages,etc.We did this from 1986 up until 2006.In the 20 years that I did this I only got the door slammed in my face once...LOL. Do not be afraid to knock on someones door or leave a note if you see a car sitting somewhere.We quit because you can not find anything around here anymore.But we both still keep our eyes peeled where ever we go.
Also if you know anyone who drives around for their job ask them if they have seen any old cars.Such as a Fed EX or UPS driver,mail or paper route person,carpet installer,lawn care person,etc.

My Buddy and I used to drive around in the country on weekend.We found cars all the time in yards,fields,barns,garages,etc.We did this from 1986 up until 2006.We quit because you can not find anything around here anymore.But we both still keep our eyes peeled where ever we go.
Also if you know anyone who drives around for their job ask them if they have seen any old cars.Such as a Fed EX or UPS driver,mail or paper route person,carpet installer,lawn care person,etc.

Best advice you could get. Everything 68 383gts is right on the money...

That's kinda what I've been doing. Plus letting friends know what I'm looking for. I'm sure something will come along, but I was just curious how you found your cars. Was hoping for ideas I haven't tried yet. But do appreciate all responses.

That's what I did - asked the route salesman for Safety Kleen to keep his eyes open out for 60's-70's Mopars. About 3-4 months later - Jackpot! He turned me on to a guy around 40 miles away who wanted to get rid of a 70 Challenger convertible! The guy didn't want to deal with fixing it as it had been hit really hard in the driver's side and even bent the frame rail. I got hooked up with him who showed me the 'vert. By the Vin the 'vert was a 70 340 4 speed - 1 of something like 240 IIRC. The deal was if I bought the convertible I had to take the hardtop parts car which did have everything needed to repair the 'vert. Total - $600!! When I looked at the Vin of the parts car, I nearly got the "Hershey Shakes". It was a 70 440 6 pac hardtop! The 6 pac car had gone through a flood and looked like the back half had sit in water for quite awhile - it was so rusted. The 6 pac car had a 383/727 in it. Ended up parting the 'vert out and sold the hardtop to a guy from AL. I made back my $600 investment just on the lift panels and door/quarter window glass from the 'vert. This was done well before the Internet - all done through Hemmings.

Oh and 1/2 the old Mopars I have bought over the years has been from knocking on doors.

jim

Everybody knows I am into Mopars, so I will usually get a lead from someone I know that has seen something and thought of me. I also take a different way to the same destination if time permits to screen the entire area in search of vehicles. I also watch cars I've found for years and keep in touch with the owners, whether they ever sell them to me or not, just to stay current on their interest!!

I too agree with Jim, if you see a car, go right back and ASK!!! Don't be afraid to approach someone, but be courteous and never look at the car up close unless invited!! Make conversation whether it's about the car or not, and tell them of your plan for the car. People like to hear that you are going to do something with the car, and maybe down the road, stop and show them that you did!! It makes for great conversation.

We still stop at the original owners house, even after 12 years of of owning Sunfish. They love to come out and see what we've done to the car..they sit in it and take pictures to send to their family, and talk about owning it and tell stories!! Great friends are made that way!! Enjoy your search, Geof

-
Back