A seemingly odd question

-

Jeremiah1981

Master Shake in Training
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just wondering what you have for insurance? I have never had insurance before because I have never had a car, and I am 28. I am a full time employee and a full time student. I don't have any criminal charges. But I looked at a couple insurance companies and they want to charge me $150 - $200 a month for a car that cost $650. What insurance companies do you guys and/or gals use on here? How much do you usually pay? What about classic car insurances like Sneed or Hagerty? I just think that what Geico and Progressve wanted to charge me for a month seems what I should be paying every 6 or 12 months...So what do you guys use and get charged, if you don't mind me asking?

Ive been with Hagerty for 4 yrs.Paying $285.00 on both cars a yr,the dart i dropped to comp this year to save a buck.There are some certain rules you
have to go by this way though.

Hagerty will not allow you to insure a classic car unless you have a daily driver also. They want the declaration page of your existing policy to prove it.....you need a vehicle for every licensed driver in the household.

Keep shopping rates....it does sound high to me also. :angry7:

I can tell you now that you won't be able to get Classic car insurance....

That kind of insurance comes with some restrictions.... Mine for example requires the car to be stored in a locked garage. I can drive it when I want but it is not to be used as a daily driver.... I am required to have a second car as my driver.

I see you said you never had a car but what is your driving record? My guess is that one problem is your lack of driving/insurance history. That is just a guess...

Shop around.... Look at what you are getting. Are you getting full coverage on a $650 car?

You may need to just suck it up for a year or two then shop again.

I pay $110 a year for Classic on my Barracuda. My BMW M3 was $78 a month for full, and when I looked at getting a restored 65 Corvette coupe 6 years ago I was quoted $65 a month for full. My Toyota 4Runner driver is $54 a month full. I have a clean driving record.

There's a 6 month minimum penalty that these companies are allowed to collect from any driver that has been without car insurance for even a couple of months (some only 30 days lapse gets you the penalties)........

It's nothing but legalized extortion, but not a blessed thing you can do about it.

Classic insurance can be bought through various companies...... Heacock, for example, requires little proof of their requirements, but you'd better have a locking garage or they won't even discuss it. The daily driver can be a family car, even your Mom's IF you still live there.....but different companies have different requirements.

Good luck.

I use State Farm for my regular insurance and have been happy with them so far. My wife and I pay the same for 4 vehicles as you were quoted for 1. Just make sure you're not opting for full collision covereage, just get liabilty and property damage (and comprehensive if you want) or else you will take it in the shorts with high premiums. The first 2 cover any damage you might cause to someone else, their vehicle, or their property. Comprehensive covers acts of God to your vehicle (creaming a deer etc.). Collision covers your vehicle if it your fault ... but I ususally drop this when my vehicle's value drops below what collision costs me per year. Also, get them to play around with the deductible.

check out Grundy, that's what mine has. mine is like $65 every 6 months. you aren't supposed to use it for daily use but they don't care if you drive it around. they said that if I have kept the car this long it's evidence that I intend to take care of it. also see if your parents will add it to their policy and add you as a driver, it's usually cheaper that way too.
anyway Grundy is the most reasonable of the collector car insurance. seriously though I remember when my insurance was several hundred a month on my '71 Cuda with a 440HP. it was extra because it was a hard top, it was extra because Cuda was a sports car, it was extra because of the 440, it was extra because I was under 25, and male. wish I had that car now, I could retire!:-D

It's because you have no drivers/insurance history. But being your over 25 you should be able to find cheaper insurance than that. I would check with Farmers or Geico or State Farm. Or go to your local AAA office and use one of their insurance companies. That's what I did when I had no Drivers/insurance history. I think the insurance was called Uniguard. Anyway, You'll find something cheaper. The best thing you could do being your over 25 is get on your parents insurance company. It will be real cheap being your over 25 years old.

Ive been with Hagerty for 4 yrs.Paying $285.00 on both cars a yr,the dart i dropped to comp this year to save a buck.There are some certain rules you c
have to go by this way though.

You guys are making my eye twitch. Up in the communist province of British Columbia, Canada we have no choice but to buy government insurance. My daily driver that I don't drive to work I pay $1300 a year for one vehicle! I am not allowed to drive it to work, have never had an accident and its a 1996 toyota land cruiser. Welcome to BC: Borderline Communism, Bring cash, Beuracracy Central. Every vehicle I registar in the province I have to pay 7% of its value to the BC government for welfare tax! This place is amazing.

You guys are making my eye twitch. Up in the communist province of British Columbia, Canada we have no choice but to buy government insurance. My daily driver that I don't drive to work I pay $1300 a year for one vehicle! I am not allowed to drive it to work, have never had an accident and its a 1996 toyota land cruiser. Welcome to BC: Borderline Communism, Bring cash, Beuracracy Central. Every vehicle I registar in the province I have to pay 7% of its value to the BC government for welfare tax! This place is amazing.

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!Lots of play money gone to waste there!

I'm with allstate, clean driving record. My daily is ~180 a month (02 mustang), but I can get collectors insurance on my Duster for $150 a year. The only restriction is that I *have* to have a daily driver, and I can't drive it more than 3k miles every 6 months, or something approaching that. So, no road trips to cali and back for me. :)

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!Lots of play money gone to waste there!

Well we have to pay for the safe injection site for ****** addicts, free needles and crack pipes, professional tattoo's for prisoners, Ferdale prison where they have a golf course, riding stables and a fishing pond! Don't get me started.

well what can you expect from a country who calls their dollar coin the Loonie? :-D

Thanks everyone I will call around.

No I am not putting full coverage, all I want is liability and maybe comp...

I recently heard on the radio that in Michigan they can also use your credit standing when considering what to charge you. Crime rates in certain areas also raise the amount. Jysnflem

Hello everyone, I was just wondering what you have for insurance? I have never had insurance before because I have never had a car, and I am 28. I am a full time employee and a full time student. I don't have any criminal charges. But I looked at a couple insurance companies and they want to charge me $150 - $200 a month for a car that cost $650. What insurance companies do you guys and/or gals use on here? How much do you usually pay? What about classic car insurances like Sneed or Hagerty? I just think that what Geico and Progressve wanted to charge me for a month seems what I should be paying every 6 or 12 months...So what do you guys use and get charged, if you don't mind me asking?

What's on your record (ie tickets/accidents) This is going to impact what you are being charged. Also, as you don't have prior insurance, you aren't going to get a break as most companies give a discount for having prior insurance. Cost of car has nothing to do with what companies are quoting you for "liability only" coverage. This covers damage you cause to someone else or thier property. If you drive a $650 dollar car or $50,000 dollar car and cause $25,000 dollars worth of damage, the cost to an insurance company is the same -$25,000 dollars.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are being unrealistic in thinking you should be paying 150-200 dollars every six months (let alone for 12 months) for a daily driver if this is the 1st time you have had insurance. Rates for someone who has multiple policies with a company, a good driving record, and good credit wont even be as low as you think they should be for a daily driver in the area you live.

Thanks everyone I will call around.

No I am not putting full coverage, all I want is liability and maybe comp...

You stated you paid $650.00 for car. Do you know what actual cash value of car is? If you can get comp coverage, policy will probably include a deductible of at least $250.00 and probably more like $500.00. Any payout would be reduced by your deductible. It's probably not worth the extra premium based on current actual cash value of car.

My advice is to just bite the bullet and pay the high premium for a couple of months and switch to a company like allstate or farmers once you have established insurance and pay a much cheaper rate. They will look at credit history, driving record and insurance claims. I pay $89 dollars a month with my 3 vehicles with allstate.

-
Back