A True Low Dollar Backyard Build

-
When I swapped a carbed 5.9 into my '88 Dak (originally 4 cyl.), I had to overcome just the opposite- no juice for ignition at starting. The wiring for the keyswitch did not allow for the normal "IGN 1" and "IGN 2" scheme, so I had to wire a relay into the starter relay (had to use a relay to avoid backfeeding the circuit) to supply power to the "start" side of the ignition circuit.
Some of the circuitry changed between the 4 cyl. and V6/V8 models, but you may have a similar situation, only the opposite...?

When I swapped a carbed 5.9 into my '88 Dak (originally 4 cyl.), I had to overcome just the opposite- no juice for ignition at starting. The wiring for the keyswitch did not allow for the normal "IGN 1" and "IGN 2" scheme, so I had to wire a relay into the starter relay (had to use a relay to avoid backfeeding the circuit) to supply power to the "start" side of the ignition circuit.
Some of the circuitry changed between the 4 cyl. and V6/V8 models, but you may have a similar situation, only the opposite...?

A few years ago I swapped from the throttle body to a carb. Had the back feed issue then. Dang truck started itself. LOL. I ended up putting the tbi back on.
This time, I found ign1 just fine for start. I picked up a 12v feed by the right fender that stays hot with key on that I thought would suffice for ign2.

If it has a factory electronic distributor in it, or a Mopar Performance one, it might be the pickup in the distributor. Had a car with same symptom many moons ago, and that was the problem.

Brain fart.... when I found the 12v for ign2 at the back of the connector, my geometric orientation was off when I turned it around and I plugged into the wrong slot.....
However, in correcting that, I rediscovered the back feed issue into the starter relay that was mentioned a few posts ago, that I thought I had avoided. With that, for now, I have ign1 disconnected and have now proven it will start and run without it. I will be wiring a relay into it like mentioned in that earlier post, so I get the full 12v at the coil upon start-up.

Oh, and before anyone asks what mufflers I'm running, it is a generic single, no-name single in, dual out muffler and tail pipes off ebay.

So this past weekend, had both boys out there with me and we finished getting the right side prepped for paint. Today's lunch break was clean up some mess, move some junk and fire it up to back it out so I can turn it around and back it back in. No video, as I'm home alone today. However, for a somewhat of a mystery motor built from used stuff laying around, she feels and sounds really good. Got her out in the driveway and she's got a little attitude that will back up the hood treatment just fine. Next time I roll it out, I'll get some video of it.

It's a shame the whole damn truck grew goosebumps all over l, except under the stripes. Removing the stripes leaves a ghost of shelby. Kinda makes me wish I could get an off white shelby stripe kit and make it a ghost effect, since I've slightly modified the truck.
20220323_131300.jpg

I did the Phoenix stripe kit 7 years ago when the truck was painted. They did not last as long as the originals did, before they started failing.

-
Back