A welder for the trailer park driveway project.

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
OK, I need a Mig welder. I dont know how to tig and dont really need it at the moment.

What I am going to be doing is welding in subframe connectors, floorpans, suspension gussets. That sort of thing.

If I need a good strong weld, I plan on tacking and then bringing to a welding shop to do the good welds. I got a good shop down the road that loves to charge 20-40 dollars for about an hour and a half of work with no fitting or prepping.

Here is the catch, I need to be able to put it on a small roll around, use a medium size bottle for sheilding gas, weld aluminum if possible, run on 110, and Plug into an extension cord. I will get a quality, rated extension cord and even install a good reciptical if necessary. But I have to be able to carry it into the house and put it away.

Budget is not really set, but something around 750 is what I am thinking, although I havent priced them yet so I may be asking alot at that price.

Thanks

i got my little 110 mig off CL for 75 bucks. i have welded 22 gauge all the way to 3/16 plate with it. still running strong. i welded up a little frame out of angle iron and slapped some casters on it so i can roll it around.

Get ready for the "get a 220V one or go home" crowd. Fact is, you can do literally everything on a car with a nice 110V.

for the $750 that your willing to spend you could almost get a millermatic 211. best selling welder on the market and it will run on 110v or 220v. lincoln makes a 180 that runs on 110v or 220v also and its right around $700 new. a good 180 amp welder will do everything you need on your car. Just stay away from department store welders. they are not the same as the ones sold at welding shops. they are junk.

i used an ooooolllllldddd 180 amp welder for a long time. did all my car stuff with it an even built a bed. all of its still holding together.

OK, I need a Mig welder. I dont know how to tig and dont really need it at the moment.

What I am going to be doing is welding in subframe connectors, floorpans, suspension gussets. That sort of thing.

If I need a good strong weld, I plan on tacking and then bringing to a welding shop to do the good welds. I got a good shop down the road that loves to charge 20-40 dollars for about an hour and a half of work with no fitting or prepping.

Here is the catch, I need to be able to put it on a small roll around, use a medium size bottle for sheilding gas, weld aluminum if possible, run on 110, and Plug into an extension cord. I will get a quality, rated extension cord and even install a good reciptical if necessary. But I have to be able to carry it into the house and put it away.

Budget is not really set, but something around 750 is what I am thinking, although I havent priced them yet so I may be asking alot at that price.

Thanks

Good luck with the bold on a 110 welder. I know the new Miller autoset 140 can use a spool gun and do aluminum to ~ .075".

Unless you find used, you won't find a decent welder that will do any significant aluminum work in your price range.

Autoset 140's are about 700 new
spool gun another 250
argon bottle for alum.
CO/Ar bottle for steel

There are other welders like Hobarts, Lincoln out there. I just know the miller line best and used it as an example.

Miller 211's are over $1000 just for the base machine.

Lincoln Powermig 140c list for $714 the plug and play spool gun for it to do aluminum Magnum Pro sg-100 list for $261 and can be added anytime you need to do aluminum. Add a good 10 gauge extension cord and you are set. I am sure you could probably shop the internet a bit and find it a bit cheaper than list.

Add a ........10 gauge extension cord and you are set. .

Good point. "Out in the driveway" and away from the breaker box, a good heavy extension is a must. You can "cheat" (cheaper) and make one up out of Romex if you are careful not to abraid, kink, or drag it around, "for occasional use."

Also, "for driveway use" take a good look at where your breaker box is. If it's out near the side/ front, install a nice heavy 20a 120V outlet and breaker, just hang a weather proof box below the breaker box.

I bought a Hobart 140, and I have still only used fluxcore wire. Works great for me, especially since I do alot of welding outside. I think I paid about $500 at Tractor Supply.

Sorry guys, but for me, fluxcore is not even a choice. I use straight CO2 because it's cheaper than CO2 -Argon mix, and does a good enough job for anything I need.

This is 5/16 or 3/8 with CO2. I did use the Lincoln 180 series mig, not my little 110

2ry6jwz.jpg

34gwrqe.jpg

This is either 2 x 7/16 or 1/2 thick

2w53yhg.jpg

When "pushing" metal thickness with a 120V machine, it is VERY important to use heavy primary wire. You cannot weld very thick stuff with a raggy old no16 'xtension cord

Just bought Miller 211 with spoolgun for aluminum that I want to try sometime, which will probably be wintertime. If you buy welder then buy at least $175 extra on same invoice you can get 15% rebate. I also bought 50ft 8/3 extension cord made for welder which is real nice and makes it lots more usable and will run it on 220 volt most of time. What little bit I have used it some far I am impressed. To change from 110 to 220 volt all you do is screw on end off and the other on. Joe

not sure if they but tractor supply sells hobarts welders they are a lower end Miller all miller parts but cheaper. get a 220 volt model

Ill throw in another vote for the eastwood. I have their 175 welder. Comes with a spool gun for aluminum but it is 220 only. I have done multiple cages, exhausts, and numerous other projects with it.

I have seen good reviews on their 140 welder as well and that will do what you need on 110.

-
Back