A "What is it worth" thread...

-

T-Fish

Reaction score
First off, I hate to do this but it's the first step in what's probably best for me at this time. I totally blew my knee (MCL, "probable" ACL, and meniscus) out a few weeks ago and it's anyone's guess as to when I will be able to return to work.

I've been away from the Mopar scene since 2001 when I started racing motocross, but have always kept an eye open in case something crossed my path. This last spring, I got the bug and started looking pretty hard for a car. One random night in early May, my best friend called me and brought up that he was going to sell his Dart. A deal was made that night. The car is a 1971 Dodge Dart. Here's a list of everything that's been done to the car that I can think of off the top of my head.

When my friend had the car it was used at the strip 95% of the time and he rarely drove it on the street.

The engine is a very mild 340. I believe it's a 1972 340, so it has the smaller heads. The engine was totally rebuilt about 5 years ago. It has less than 1,000 miles on it as it sits right now. Bolt-ons consist of headers of which I don't know what brand they are, fairly mild cam, Holley carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. Electric fans, coolant catch can. I don't know the exact mileage due to the speedometer being off. If it says I'm doing 71 mph, I'm actually doing 55. It's obviously pretty far off! The speedometer (and the rest of the gauges were installed with 0 miles on engine) says less than 1,000 miles yet.

Transmission is a 4 speed. He used aluminum cases and swapped the original 4 speed internals into that.

Rear end is a narrowed Ford 9 inch with all Moser internals. Spool, 33 spline axles. The gears consist of 4.30's. He destroyed the 8 3/4 he had in it and went all out with the new one. The car has been mini-tubbed and utilizes Cal-tracs to get traction.

The original fuel tank has been cut up and only holds about 9 gallons of fuel. The tank also has a fuel sump and drain.

Ignition is an MSD 6al if I remember right.

Radiator is aluminum.

K-frame has been strengthened.

The car has disc brakes all the way around and has the bigger Mopar bolt pattern.

All of the gauges are Auto Meter Pro Comp Ultra Lite. They consist of speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, water pressure, fuel level, and volt meter.

There is no heater or radio. Anything that added weight that he didn't need got removed, with the exception of the wipers and wiper motor.

I put Summit Racing racing buckets in the car, moved the battery to the trunk and put it in a Moroso NHRA certified battery box, and put a kill switch in the rear bumper.

I also rewired the entire car from headlights to tail lights with a Painless wiring harness. Far from Painless, though. That's another story for another day.

I didn't get a chance to run it down the strip this summer, but the best pass it has had was a 13.1 @99 mph. I was really hoping to get it to the strip and pull a 12.99! I think it may have been possible since I weigh about 50lb less than my friend and I had to have dropped at least 60 lbs by swapping the plastic buckets into the car.

The body of the car is very solid. There is a spot or two on one of the quarters where there is a little rust, but it's obviously very repairable. The hood is pinned on and the hinges have been removed. One of the fenders is 'new' (few years old) and in primer and the other had a bad spot repaired. It could probably be done again, as it was the first time he'd done it. It's not terrible, but it isn't perfect either.

This is the only picture I have right now, but I can and will take and post more. I'm just trying to see what some people with more knowledge than I have think this may be worth, or what I should put for an asking price, or if there's even any interest in it! Like I mentioned above, I'm "new" to this hobby again.
IMG_9337.jpg

I'll post more information as to what's done to the car if something pops into my head. Basically, this car is ready for one seriously nasty drivetrain!!! All of the hard work has been done.

Thanks guys!

Looks like a great car. You need to hang on to it.

I'm not sure if you're saying you want to sell the 340 separate or not, but it almost sounds like it. If so, please PM me, I'm nearby (sort of), maybe we can work something out once you figure out what you want for it. Thanks.

-
Back