A500 in a 1970 A Body

-
Let me get some more pictures and put them up. The collectors sit lower than trans pan on my car, and nothing bottoms out, even on parking lot curbs....er...speed bumps. Not sure how it would sit with an aluminum cast pan, since those are usually deep sump.

FYI - I used the 46RE factory pan that is designed for the reusable plastic pan gaskets. Chrysler DXed all the non-performance pans for the 727/518 & 4xRH/E transmissions and show only this stamped pan now.

here's a pic for now (just reference). Those header pipes are the lowest thing on the car.

1098742.jpg

This guy did an A-518: A-518 in '68 Dart
The OD part is the same size on both tranies.

I think this is about the 50th time I said this, but the 518 fit in my 75 Sport with zero floorboard mods. The crossmember hoop connecting the torsion boxes together had to be cut down and rewelded, but otherwise it fit fine.

Just to be safe, 2x2 inch box subframes were welded in, and a beefy trans mount was fabricated to strengthen the torsion boxes also. The car has a rock solid feel to it.

that guy in the link is DBdartman. i have talked to him a few times about the 518 swap and superdart is correct. the main problem is the od unit where the trans crossmember/torsion bar crossmember ties the car together. he said he cut way more then he needed to to make it fit. said you could so it without cutting the floor. and if he did it again he now knows that. he did that swap years ago when MP still sold those transmissions new. a 500 trans is a 904 with an od on it. you can do the same mods to that and it will hold pleanty power just like a 904 without anything exotic in it. the 518 is just a 727 with an od oni t on it. the reason they both got a bad rap was the od units kept going out on people. there are oiling mods that can be done to fix that and an extra clutch can be added to the od unit to make it trouble free. i've been reading posts on other sites for a while now because i want to put one in my dart sooner or later. i think the 500 only came in lock up but the 518 can be had in lock up or non lock up. not 100% sure though. thinking i would prefer a non lock up but then again if its locked up on the highway while cruising then maybe it would be a little better mileage. not sure though, i'll have to look into it a littl more. plus i think a lock up converter is a little more $$$$ and less choices of stahl but again i'm not sure about that either.

1992 518,s are a 2 wire electric plug,,it is for the over drive,,1992 was the last year of non electric lock up,,it may be and ,my guess like the earlier lock ups centrifical, 1993 and newer have a 3 or more wire hook up,,for the lock up,controled by computer,,therre are 2 fluid ports on the side of the trany 1993 and newer,, they can be made to shift into and out of lock up by hyd pressure,,and electirc,,with out using the computer,

-
Back