A500 or A518?

-
hard to tell. It looks like it has the shaft sticking out for the old style throttle lever, so i would guess an RH. A better picture of the wiring hook up would help

I have two of these trans and researching this as I type.
One from a 92 v6 dakota and one from a 96 v6 dakota
I am just trying to figure out the differences between the 42re and the 42rh. Guess I should put them side by side.

I was going to scrap them but I had a nightmare about overdrive and a big block.
I already planned the big block to slide into the dakota plus the 727 trans.
If I am going to rebuild the trans anyways overdrive would be nice since i already have it

42re is electric and needs a controler
42rh is hydraulic and does not need a controler

The RE series of transmissions includes the 42,44,46,47, and 48RE transmissions. These transmissions use three solenoids, a temperature sensor, a pressure transducer, and one external VR speed sensor. Two solenoids are simple on/off operation for 4th gear and TCC. The third solenoid is used for governor pressure and is monitored by the pressure transducer. Early year models used a VSS mounted in the tailshaft. The VSS was phased out of production through year models 1996-97. Later year models used an external MUX PRNDL to indicate shift position to the instrument cluster. The PRNDL was phased in during the 2001-02 production.

The RE series of transmissions includes the 42,44,46,47, and 48RE transmissions. These transmissions use three solenoids, a temperature sensor, a pressure transducer, and one external VR speed sensor. Two solenoids are simple on/off operation for 4th gear and TCC. The third solenoid is used for governor pressure and is monitored by the pressure transducer. Early year models used a VSS mounted in the tailshaft. The VSS was phased out of production through year models 1996-97. Later year models used an external MUX PRNDL to indicate shift position to the instrument cluster. The PRNDL was phased in during the 2001-02 production.

So how does the A500 and A518 figure in the mix? A500=42 and 44 and A518=46,47 and 48?

An adapter from small block to big block doesn't work very well. The small block starter location is lower and interferes with the block casting protrusion for the drivers side lower trans bolt. Any adapter would require you to saw off part of the block. It might not hurt anything and i think somebody has made these adapters, but ive never seen one.

A better way is to saw off the bellhousing from the trans and use an aftermarket one like a J and W that bolts on via the pump bolts. Im not sure if they make one for the A500 or not, but they do for the 518. I have set up a 518 for a big block this way and it works. The A500 or 42rh uses the same pump bolt pattern as the 904, just like the 518 uses the same pump bolt pattern as the 727.

Just confirmed and bought the 42rh... I'm seeking for a master kit ... I found one from raybestos but it's for 99 to 03 a500.... will not work on my 93? .. I know that probably is for a RR not a RH but the internal is not the same?

Last edited:
-
Back