A500 questions about bad torque converter

-

lee g

Reaction score
Pulled an a500 from a local junkyard. Had issues removing the torque converter bolts and just pulled the transmission at first. The tranni hung up on everything possible and at times the shaft of the pump was hanging inside the torque converter ( supporting all the weight). I ended up pulling the convertor and it needed a little assistance with a brass hammer to get the convertor onto the output shaft off the converter and fully seated. Crank the car put it in gear and the car doesn't move and I get a loud clunking from the convertor. The transmission looked clean and appeared to have been rebuilt recently when I pulled the pan. Never had a torque converter go bad so I wonder if I damaged it when it was supporting the weight of the transmission when the output shaft of the pump was only half way in it.

Pulled an a500 from a local junkyard. Had issues removing the torque converter bolts and just pulled the transmission at first. The tranni hung up on everything possible and at times the shaft of the pump was hanging inside the torque converter ( supporting all the weight). I ended up pulling the convertor and it needed a little assistance with a brass hammer to get the convertor onto the output shaft off the converter and fully seated. Crank the car put it in gear and the car doesn't move and I get a loud clunking from the convertor. The transmission looked clean and appeared to have been rebuilt recently when I pulled the pan. Never had a torque converter go bad so I wonder if I damaged it when it was supporting the weight of the transmission when the output shaft of the pump was only half way in it.

Pulling a trans while leaving the converter on the flex plate can easily damage the converter unless it is pulled straight out and supported.

Sounds like you may have not gotten the converter stabbed all the way into the pump and broken the gears if you have lost all ranges.

Thanks for the responses. I will pull the transmission back out and inspect and purchase a new torque converter. Hopefully nothing is damaged other than the converter.

Dipstick is showing full. Will put a new torque converter in this weekend. Got my fingers crossed that it fixes the problem.

-
Back