A518 46RH rebuild

-
Well, it looks clean, but I didn’t bother measuring clearances because when I ordered it, I knew it was a flats pump and I have a brand new lug drive converter and I thought I could just put my pump parts into the new housing. The flats drive pump is a larger diameter so my parts leave too much of a gap so I’m back to looking for parts.
Either a larger diameter lug drive if there is such such a thing, or I see how much of a loss I take on returning the converter and getting a flats drive one. I’ve had it for about eight months, so I’m not sure what they’ll do for me. I have some other things too take care of today, but I really don’t want to push it into yet another week.
I needed a new pump because I changed the front drum to one that holds more clutches, but didn’t realize there was single bushing or dual bushing drums, and that affects how it rides on the pump shaft. The book didn’t mention that.

Well, it looks clean, but I didn’t bother measuring clearances because when I ordered it, I knew it was a flats pump and I have a brand new lug drive converter and I thought I could just put my pump parts into the new housing. The flats drive pump is a larger diameter so my parts leave too much of a gap so I’m back to looking for parts.
Either a larger diameter lug drive if there is such such a thing, or I see how much of a loss I take on returning the converter and getting a flats drive one. I’ve had it for about eight months, so I’m not sure what they’ll do for me. I have some other things too take care of today, but I really don’t want to push it into yet another week.
Just curious - what'd they charge for the pump assembly?

There's a "cores" place by me, I needed a pump and front clutch drum for the 46re I'm doing, and they had them and were cheap. Cost me $40 for both and I didn't just get the drum, I got the input shaft and inner hub with it. Only 6-7 miles from home. Place called KB cores, I do believe they ship. But if you ask for a 46re they'll tell you they don't have.
Just like the trans parts places they still call them a "518". I called and asked about "46re" and was told over the phone they haven't had any of them in a while (some woman that I think works in another department maybe), I took a chance and stopped by on my way home from work they had a bunch

I get to do an a500 out of a junked 91 Dakota next, it worked but had quite a few miles on it...
I'm going thru it while it's out before it gets put into what I saved it for..... Not seeing as many sonnax, etc parts for these as the 518 series out there ..

Okay update! Modified the exhaust and hooked up the patc kit and Holy-**** I have over drive!
It runs a drives so smooth, shifts feel stock... lol
So happy I did this, Pain in the *** but feel well worth it.... super excited...

Congratulations, I'm so looking forward to driving mine, hopefully in a few weeks.

Can you fill in some details to finish off this thread? What exactly is this truck? Rear axle ratio? Rear tire size?

Glad it worked out. It will be so much nicer to cruise in overdrive.

Can you fill in some details to finish off this thread? What exactly is this truck? Rear axle ratio? Rear tire size?

Glad it worked out. It will be so much nicer to cruise in overdrive.
Sure.
It's a 72 D100 318/396 stroker, it has a 8 1/4" rear with 3.21 gear, on a set of 20x8 wheel 275/50-20, the tire measure 30.5" tall.
Its name is "Old Man" It's my daily.

20240331_182515.jpg

Nice looking truck but I didn't think that grill started yet til 74? Thought 72/73 was like squad 51 from the old TV show?
Would like to find a "squad 51" grill and try to make it work on my 85..... I have the "bird bath" hood for it like the 72-78 trucks had, and matching cowl.

Nice looking truck but I didn't think that grill started yet til 74? Thought 72/73 was like squad 51 from the old TV show?
Would like to find a "squad 51" grill and try to make it work on my 85..... I have the "bird bath" hood for it like the 72-78 trucks had, and matching cowl.
Do you mean Emergency ?

Love that show! Roy and Johnny were my heroes growing up! I never missed an episode!

D9959AF2-2364-4A25-A2B9-692FCAF6D5F2.jpeg

-
Back