A518 in a 68 Dart?

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
Will a A518 O/D trans fit in a 1968 Dart that currently has a 318 and a 727 trans?

Not easily but it can be done. You have to do alot of cutting and welding on the car to get it in there cause the tailshaft extension housing is so big on the 518 it won't fit through the trans. tunnel.

goto moparts.org and get ahold of dbdartman he has one in his dart and it took alot less cutting and welding then you would think...

dbdartman sent me extensive pics and answered a lot of questions I had about the swap. It was really only the crossmember that had to be cut and rerouted above the trans, and a custom fabbed trans mount.

By his setup it looks like it would be tricky to get a factory center console to fit over it, but it can probably be done. His car is a column shifter, so no big deal for him.

Hey Flyboy sorry to give you mis-information. It's been posted here several times in the past by others that the trans tunnel had to be cut on and I was just echoing those comments. The info that these guys posted is new to me so I'd say do what they say and contact the fellow they mentioned. Good luck.

How about this, how would the new Hemi electronic trans fit? I have seen some A-bodies with a new Hemi, anybody know which trans they are using. I am asking because if I swap in a new hemi like I want to, it will come with the trans. I have seen pictures of it and it looks slightly smaller than the 500/518. I am desperate to get an overdrive auti in my car, but I dont want to cut the floorboards.

The new 5.7L hemi crate engines are made to accept early LA transmissions so that swaps are easier to our cars. I don't know if the 545RFE (truck) and NAG (Charger/300/Magnum) transmissions have the same bolt patern as the 904/727 layout. The truck 545RFE transmission is huge and will not easily fit (if at all) under an A-body. The NAG trans might fit better. However, in either case, these transmissions are electronic, and require a TCM to operate properly.

Even Goody's dad's "overhauled" Challenger that had the new 392 crate motor used a 727 with a gear vendors OD in it.

I would say go with the A518 or A500 and do the floor cutting. I would love to go with an A500, but the cost for me is prohibitive at this point. I can get my 904 all set up for a third the cost, and with much less labor. I can always do it down the road when the car is more complete.

I pasted dbdartman's reply and pics in a word document. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Mopar Action did an article on this swap a few years back. The crossmember needs to be modded a bit as does the floor pan. The rear crossmember carries the torsion bar load so you need to put it back together. I think all A500's were lockups, so converter selection wont be as good.

Another option which doesn't require crossmember work is the Gear Vendors unit. Unfortunately they are kinda spendy.

superdart said:
The new 5.7L hemi crate engines are made to accept early LA transmissions so that swaps are easier to our cars. I don't know if the 545RFE (truck) and NAG (Charger/300/Magnum) transmissions have the same bolt patern as the 904/727 layout. The truck 545RFE transmission is huge and will not easily fit (if at all) under an A-body. The NAG trans might fit better. However, in either case, these transmissions are electronic, and require a TCM to operate properly.

Even Goody's dad's "overhauled" Challenger that had the new 392 crate motor used a 727 with a gear vendors OD in it.

I would say go with the A518 or A500 and do the floor cutting. I would love to go with an A500, but the cost for me is prohibitive at this point. I can get my 904 all set up for a third the cost, and with much less labor. I can always do it down the road when the car is more complete.

I pasted dbdartman's reply and pics in a word document. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

That article was great! It makes the decisiona little easier. Although, if I do it, I might try to use 3/8 x 3" bar stock for the upper brace.

Glad it helped you out. It answered a lot of my questions.:scratch:

Fort Worth LaGrange Field in January. I've never been to it but my friend sells a lot of dirt track stuff out there.

-
Back