A518 Questions

-

dartboy73

Reaction score
I have a few questions if you could provide links to parts I might need that would be helpful
So I'm putting a 6.1 in my 68 Cuda I have the HDK frontend and the engine. The body work is almost done so I don't want to cut the floor up for the 545RFE. I would really like overdrive and found a good deal on a built 518
My questions are
Does the cheetah 727 shifter work on the 518?
Do I need a special lock up convertor or spacer?
What do I need to make the overdrive work?
Will the 727 crossmember work?
Can I buy a drive shaft or do I have to get one made? I have a stage s60 with 4.10

Please be patient with me this is my first car build ever

A 518 is not gonna fit without floor work, either. My understanding is that only the smaller A500 (904 based) will fit and even that requires what might be called extensive rework of the crossmember. There's a thread on here about that

I think the 518/727 shifter is same

I'm planning (if i live long enough) on an A500. It's a 46E series, meaning electronic. I've read (Transgo? I think) that you can turn it into an "all manual" box, needing a toggle or whatever and or vacuum switch for the OD.

A500 42RH swap

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178459

crossmemember mods

attachment.php

I don't mind doing a bit of floor work to get an overdrive. So does anyone make a cross member for this swap or would anybody be will to make me one?

46RH/46RE is the 518/727-based trans as is anything above 46- the 47 and 48 until well into the 2000s.

Below that, starting about 42RH/RE is the 500s. Upon the switch to the electronic RE transmissions the 500s were far more common- since many fewer overdrive trucks/vans got 518s simply because they had V8s as they did prior.

Don't look for a trans for/in a Jeep- pass side starter. Early V8 Dakotas and trucks are more likely 518 donors than 500 donors. Driveshaft is gonna be shorter- around 3", same for 500 or 518. Different for 545.

I have a rebuilt 518 sitting in my shed waiting to go behind a 6.1

So, I have done way more reading than wrenching to make sure I get this right.

Read this.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=84774.0

Lots of good information.

Some advice I was given-if you use a 518, ensure you use a good cooler, and an orifice should be drilled out to a larger size on the(I will mess this up) output shafteethingee. Research it or talk to a smart transmission dude. It will help with the cooling. Heat is what kills the transmissions from everything I have read.

I installed a A518 behind a 5.7 and used a 2005 hemi manual trans starter and a flex plate from PATC. It is the same length as a 545RFE and uses the same spline. I actually reused the 545RFE driveshaft. Any three speed shifter will work. I used pressure switches to control OD and Converter Lockup. Here's a couple pictures. The bosses up by the starter need a little grinding to get the starter to set properly. The picture of the tail housing and shaft is the A518 with the 545RFE shaft. My truck is lowered so the shaft is fully engaged.

-
Back