a518 swap question

-

3rdcurve

Reaction score
I have been sourcing info from different places on the a518 swap. A couple of places have referenced using the 1995 and back tranmissions.

Is there an issue using the later versions?

I have a line on a very reasonable 99, but need to pass if its a no go on the swap.

needs to be the hydraulic version (46rh)>>pre-1995
the electronic (46re) will require a computer to control shift points

Be prepare to cut
a section of the T-bar crossmember to fit the transmission

needs to be the hydraulic version (46rh)>>pre-1995
the electronic (46re) will require a computer to control shift points

Be prepare to cut
a section of the T-bar crossmember to fit the transmission

as said...computer control for about 96 and newer....aka 46RE

I did an A-518 install in my 440 Duster. I don't advise it. It was a lot of work and by the time I was done the cost was almost as much as a beefed 727 with a Gear Vendors OD unit. A 727 with the GV is stronger than an A-518 and much more simple. Also if you want a manual valve body there are tons of sources to get them for the 727. Now about the 200-4R swap. Be careful, I have read some horror stories on that swap right here on FABO. I hate to bad mouth anyone and I won't mention the names of any companies but I will tell you that one guy ordered a 200-4R from a well known trans company that has been a 200-4R expert for years and last I read the company had failed to deliver all the parts to complete the swap as promised. I also saw another guy ordered a very expensive 4L60E setup for his big block Barracuda and the trans did not work, he was pulling his hair out trying to get it working. That's why I say a 727 with a GV is a good idea and well worth the money. 727s are very simple, easy to get and any trans shop can rebuild them practically with their eyes closed and the GV unit is completely independent of the trans I.E. if something goes wrong with the GV unit it won't take out the trans and vice versa. Also the GV unit can handle 2000 hp so you can consider it bullet proof.

Also be advised the rework to the trans tunnel and crossbrace is extensive. See Gdonovans pictorial thread in this forum. You can also see the photos I took by going to my picture gallery. The link is over on the left.

Do you have a functioning transmission now? Are you willing to rebuild your A518 yourself? How about the welding? None of these are super big ticket items, especially if you can do a lot of it yourself, but cost's escalate quickly if you hire it out.

How much power will it need to handle? An A518 can be built to handle just about anything but having one more gear, they are more expensive than a 727. Custom converters cost, custom lockup converters cost even more. Here's a place to start doing price comparisons: http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id10.html

The 200R4 has one thing going for it and one thing only; it's short. They cost about twice as much to beef up than a 700R4 (4L60) for similar power levels.

At $3000 the Gear vendors seems pretty spendy, but factor in the cost of building another transmission if you already have a built 727, and suddenly the cost difference isn't so much.

Keep a couple other thoughts in mind. If you have an 8 3/4 you could build another center section with either track or street gears for less than 1/3 of the cost of either option above. So ask yourself a couple questions. Will you drive your race car on the street enough to save $3000 in gas? Or, do you take your street car to the track enough that it's worth $3000 not to swap out your 3.23's for 4.10's occasionally.

I have read all the articles mentioned above, and you all make valid points. This car will be a daily street cruiser. I just completely rebuilt a 8.8 withh 3.73s, so an OD would be nice. This car will hit the track a couple times a year, but just for fun. Fabrication and modification are not a problem, we have a full fab shop and tools at our disposal. I am on the fence with my drivetrain right now. I am torn between building a mild 451 low deck, or beefing up a low mileage 5.9 magnum. I have cheap access to either engine. I leannnn towards the magnum with hopes of retaining the fuel injection. I would really like the overdrive. Thats said, my options seem to break down this way:
1. 200R4 built w/adapter and neccesary mods $2800-$3200
2. a518 try beefing it up myself and use a aftermarket transcontroller $1750-$2250
3. Rebuild and beef up one of my 904 or 727s and use a gear vendors OD. My dad has a $1000 GV coupon from his drag week win, so $2500-3000.

Anyway I look at it I will be dropping at least $2000, which is a large chuck of my current budget. The gear vendors would probably be the strongest with the easiest install, but doesnt have as generous a OD gear ratio as the a518 or 200r4.

A few things I forgot to mention. A-518 and 727 use the same converters. A non lockup 727 one will work with a non lockup A-518 and a lockup 727 one will work with a lockup A-518. The other thing and this is a big one. According to SMR Transmissions, the A-518 soaks up a lot more power than a 727, so much more that its nearly a half second slower in the quarter mile. That's a clincher for me. The few undred I saved by going with the A-518 is awash with that kind of loss.

The Magnum will bolt up to the A518. The 440 will need an adapter.

Having a fabshop at hand will save a lot of money on installation so you're only paying for the trans itself, Chevy trannymount and some coolerlines perhaps.
I installed a 518 in my Dart as well and didn't cost me more than the cost of the transmission.

-
Back