A518 with stock floor shifter

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got a 67 dart with the stock floor shifter and center console. I'm wanting to upgrade to an overdrive A518. Has anyone hooked one up and still used the stock floor shifter? I was told that there are no provisions on the overdrive tranny to hook the shift linkage to. Any imput appreciated. Thanks

I haven't worked on a newer A518 but i can tell you for sure up to 95 they hooked up the same as the older torqueflites. In 96 they went to a fully electronic A518 so they may have changed them but I'm not sure. You can't use a 96 or newer without a computer controller so you need an older one than 96. The only thing you have to ad to make it work right is a switch for the o.d.

Hey everyone. I've got a 67 dart with the stock floor shifter and center console. I'm wanting to upgrade to an overdrive A518. Has anyone hooked one up and still used the stock floor shifter? I was told that there are no provisions on the overdrive tranny to hook the shift linkage to. Any imput appreciated. Thanks

I have a 518 in my 71 duster. It has the same floor and crossmember as issues as yours.
I posted a bunch of pics of the floor mods required in ENGINE ISSUES, 5.9 Magnum into a 73Duster, by Old Geezzer.
It has nothing to do with provisions for bolting it on, the problem is that the back of the 518 trans is so fat that the shift rod that goes down thru the floor, --can't go there-- because the trans is in the way.
I would bet you could modify a cable kit to work tho, perhaps LOKAR or maybe Imperial Services. Imperial made a 10 inch longer speedo cable for me. ya gotta have one of those too.

A friend of mine has a 67 Barracuda with a 340 and A518. He is using the stock floor shifter and console. Don't know what he did to hook it up but the only thing he talked about to install the tranny was opening the floor up to make room for the OD in the tail and fabing a cross member.

FWIW, the A518 was redesignated a 46RH around 92 and the electronically controlled govenor pressure versions that came around 96/97 are 46RE's

I haven't made the switch yet but would like to someday. I would think that a long cable would work. The stock shifter linkage (rod that moves a rod that moves a rod LOL) would be replaced by cable. Might route it through the same floor seal or close that HUGE hole and make a new smaller one.

-
Back