A727

-

Stephen Mulkey

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello FABO Transmission experts.
I haveven a question about a, A727 Trans I received with a Dart purchase. I have tracked it to a 76 Dodge 318/360, B series and Ram charger / Trail duster 2wd trans.
All good but are the two weights on the converter good enough for a LA 360 and or a 5.7 magnum? Also what's up with the electrical plug on the dipstick (motorhome? )
Trans id# 3898866
Thanks everyone

20180823_135831.jpg

20180823_135909.jpg

Hello FABO Transmission experts.
I haveven a question about a, A727 Trans I received with a Dart purchase. I have tracked it to a 76 Dodge 318/360, B series and Ram charger / Trail duster 2wd trans.
All good but are the two weights on the converter good enough for a LA 360 and or a 5.7 magnum? Also what's up with the electrical plug on the dipstick (motorhome? )
Trans id# 3898866
Thanks everyone

View attachment 1715214389

View attachment 1715214391
OK, I though about it some more. Is the flywheel where the balance comes from? And the converter is neutral balanced?

The weights that you are showing on that converter are to balance the converter.
You need to look on the face that bolts up to the back of the engine to see if there is a weight there.
318 converters are not weighted the later 5.9 Magnum converters are not weighted.
The LA 360 converter is weighted.
I believe the electronic dipstick is to let you know if the transmission is low on fluid with an idiot light on the dash.

The convertor weights, if it has any, are located on the side it's laying on in the pic, and are obviously larger and thicker in size.
The thin weights you see in the pic are just convertor balance weights to neutrally balance it.

Don't know about the electrical plug in the dipstick. Perhaps an oil-level sensor?

Also curious about the electrical plug. I have a motorhome 727 with one.

Also curious about the electrical plug. I have a motorhome 727 with one.
I just got home and looked at a 440 and BB 727 and it has the same plug/ dipstick. I also now believe it's a warning light switch. I'm going to put a ohm check on it to see if it opens and closes on movement.

I just got home and looked at a 440 and BB 727 and it has the same plug/ dipstick. I also now believe it's a warning light switch. I'm going to put a ohm check on it to see if it opens and closes on movement.

It is for a level warning lamp

So far as weights/ balance, no older trans you find will be weighted for a 5.9 magnum or 5.7 hemi. The weighted older transmissions were for 360 LA and they are "off balance" differently than a 5.9 mag or hemi.

Older transmissions like you posted have the weighting on the front of the converter. Newer native transmissions for Magnums use a weighted flex plate (with the trigger wheel) and a neutral balance converter

It is for a level warning lamp

So far as weights/ balance, no older trans you find will be weighted for a 5.9 magnum or 5.7 hemi. The weighted older transmissions were for 360 LA and they are "off balance" differently than a 5.9 mag or hemi.

Older transmissions like you posted have the weighting on the front of the converter. Newer native transmissions for Magnums use a weighted flex plate (with the trigger wheel) and a neutral balance converter
That's great info everyone, thank you for all your help

-
Back