a833 input shaft seal install

-

dust-u

Reaction score
I am a dope..I recently rebuilt my a833 4 speed.. pretty straight forward. I did remove the input seal for replacement . I am having a senior moment on the new seal(which way it is installed), anyone have a pic? to show the proper install> I would hate to go thru all the effort of installation and have fluid pouring out of the input seal.dumb I know, but I need to :eek:ops:ask to set my mind at ease.:eek:ops:

The spring side of the seal faces out, so when you drive it into the retainer you should be looking at the spring side.

thanx aj..that's the way I installed it..was reading your posts here..great info. 90 w on the oil...?

The spring side of the seal faces out, so when you drive it into the retainer you should be looking at the spring side.

By "out" I believe you mean "to the big side" or "against the ball bearing"

Just to expand;the spring-side of almost all single-lip seals goes to the liquid side. I have come across very few exceptions.

Yup

90 wt is probably on the thick side; unless you're ambient temp is really high, and all the time, and you're operating under severe duty.
I don't like running EP oils in my box.It really slows the synchronization procedure. It does, however, make everything in there last forever-ish.
I like running ATF. But the cluster-pin takes a licking .Its possible to rotate the pin every couple of years, by cutting new retainer grooves at the end(s). But I found that 50/50 ATF&75/90 seems to work out OK. Eventually I modded my synchronizers to work with synthetics.Shifts like lightning!And seems to not be wearing at all.Except for the brass rings.But then;I've always been hard on them.LOL

AJ/FormS; Eventually I modded my synchronizers to work with synthetics.Shifts like lightning!And seems to not be wearing at all.Except for the brass rings.But then;I've always been hard on them.LOL[/QUOTE said:
What exactly did you do to the syncros to make them work with synthetics?

Yeah, I posted that up here somewhere.
Among other things, I cut large oil-drainage channels in the polished steel cones, and widened the channels in the brass rings. That synthetic oil is incredibly slippery.
I quickly went to a semi-synthetic. And eventually I think I went back to 50/50, atf/ep.
For street use I noticed little to no shift change.Of course,now,I'm 10 years older too.
Meaning............I dont actually need lightning shifts anymore. Except for the 1-2 shift now and again......Cuz 3.55s get me 70kph(43mph) at 5860, which in town is, nearly;Hammer the brakes time!

-
Back