A833 install tips

-

BlistAbody

Reaction score
Im putting the a833 transmission back in my 73 dart and I was wondering if i install the bell housing to the block first and then mount the trans in the car or do I mount the trans to the bellhousing and then install it? I took it off with the bellhousing attached but it was a pain in the @$$.

not sure if the engine is out of the car or not.
either way it goes bell housing to block then transmission to bell housing. Make sure you install the pilot bushing and use a clutch aligning tool. May be a good idea to check the bell housing run out too ( I don't always do it and have no problems)

do not ever let the weight of the trans "hang" on the clutch hub. If you do, it can bend the clutch disk, making it runout, and give you erratic clutch engagement.

I had the bell on the engine and then slid the trans in, still a pita but it worked, and extra set of hands is a good bet too

I have always installed the bell on to the block first. Never really though of the option on installing the bell on to the trans first.

I remember drilling holes in the floorboard to get the bell bolted to the block, but that was an early A and an Automatic. I should be a lot easier to bolt the trans to the bell if it is already in the car. you will probably have to lower the rear of the engine to do this so make sure you remove the distributor first if it is a small block. Good Luck.

Put it all together outside of the car if you can.

I install in this order,... Flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate (with aligning tool), then bellhousing. Then I take two bolts that are the same size, but a little longer than the trans to bellhousing bolts and cut the heads off and use a cutter to cut slots in the end of them.

Reason for this is I can thread them into the bottom two bolt holes on the bellhousing and use them as guides when sliding the trans into the bellhousing. It helps to align the trans to the bellhousing and clutch disc, and helps support the weight of the trans to keep it off the input shaft as it's being installed.

Reason for the cut slots in the back of those cut off bolt heads is so you can remove them with a screwdriver after the trans is installed into the bellhousing and the top two bolts are installed holding the trans to the bellhousing. Then just put the original two bolts back in and you are done (installing that is... still have to hook everything else back up :)).

Good advice... I know getting the trans back in while laying on your back is a real pita. Your tip would make it a lot easier.

Takes 5-8 minutes that way, soooo much better.

Is there any reason to not stud out the 4 transmission bolts ?

I know it is really really important to use long bolts.

Use an old input shaft off a trans to align the clutch, the trans will slide right in.
The plastic ones are junk.
Install the bell housing before putting the trans in.
X2 on the harbor freight trans scissor jack, it is actually low enough to put a trans in with the car sitting on ramps.

Get an aluminum case and tail, and drop something like 25 pounds.
Then roll the car over on the lawn,
Then slam that hummer in there at waist height.

Of course I'm kidding,lol........ except.......... about.............. the weight savings.

Thanks for all your tips. I have the trans jack already so that'll make things easier. I like that idea with the bolts, I will be doing that.
I install in this order,... Flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate (with aligning tool), then bellhousing. Then I take two bolts that are the same size, but a little longer than the trans to bellhousing bolts and cut the heads off and use a cutter to cut slots in the end of them.

Reason for this is I can thread them into the bottom two bolt holes on the bellhousing and use them as guides when sliding the trans into the bellhousing. It helps to align the trans to the bellhousing and clutch disc, and helps support the weight of the trans to keep it off the input shaft as it's being installed.

I like this idea a lot. This will save a lot of time. Great idea!

Reason for the cut slots in the back of those cut off bolt heads is so you can remove them with a screwdriver after the trans is installed into the bellhousing and the top two bolts are installed holding the trans to the bellhousing. Then just put the original two bolts back in and you are done (installing that is... still have to hook everything else back up :)).

One question I forgot to ask, are you supposed to lube the pilot bushing?

I like the idea with the bolts. Thanks for that. One thing I forgot to ask, are you supposed to lube the pilot bushing? Maybe with Molly grease?

Rub it into the bushing, all around, and let the input pilot push a tiny bit excess into the back of the hole. You don't want that stuff to run outta there and end up on your flywheel or disc. Do not put it on the pilot! It will be pushed back when it enters the bushing, or get stuck on the splines as you slide thru them, and then , well, you know the rest.

Get an aluminum case and tail, and drop something like 25 pounds.
Then roll the car over on the lawn,
Then slam that hummer in there at waist height.

Of course I'm kidding,lol........ except.......... about.............. the weight savings.

Years ago I asked a friend to help me install A833 in my Valiant. We both slid under the car. He told me to get out of the way and while laying on his back, lifted transmission and shoved it home. Thanks Dan, you animal.

-
Back