A833 O/D What will it handle?

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I know the 23 spline A833 O/D trans is weaker than the cast 18 spline that is a given but just what will one of these trans handle before they start breaking stuff?

I have broken 3 of the 4 that I have owned. The M/S O/D gear is very weak. Twice I forgot which box I was running and accidentally speed shifted into it and BAM instantly tore it up. On another, I stripped the M/D teeth right off the input shaft. The last one worked fine for a couple of years. I ran a GearVendors box behind it for a few years. Good splits and double O/D was nice. Eventually I switched to the 273 ratio box still with the GV behind it. Five gears is enough for me, esp with splitting capabilities. All this was/is behind a 366sbm,430ish hp.
--I tore a few clutch discs out of it too. I finally installed a Centerforce Dual Friction(diaphragm type) into it, but found the disc too harsh for street. I put an oem 340 disc in instead still with the CF pressure plate, and shimmed the pressure plate out something like .030. Now I have a slipper clutch. Works great on the street;just blip the throttle and dump it. Just enough slip for smooth take-off from idle and the rollers kick in for performance driving.
--For a while there, it was a pretty expensive learning curve.Drive shafts, U-joints,yoke-straps,diffs.It got sorted in the end and no more trouble.I didnt have all this trouble until I fit 295/50-15s out back. Of course it wasnt really drive-able until at least 275s went on. Even then, it used to switch ends pretty regularly.Now I can toss it around pretty wildly and its fairly forgiving, At least thats what passengers say.Some come back for seconds, most not.
--Going back to your question; I suppose the first 3 gears are at least as strong as the regular boxs.
--I can believe that the M/D failure was a fluke. Be advised though that the ratios are fairly wide. Its not for every combo. Your engine will need to have plenty of torque down low in the rpms.
--Race gear diffs werent the answer for me either. Eventually first gear becomes nearly useless.For street, 3.55s worked the best for first, but 2nd was a ways off(it wanted 4.10s). So 3.91s became the compromise.And then 3rd was a ways off. Thats why I went to the 273 ratio. Everything tightens back up, and the 3.09low lets me run 3.55s or even 3.23s. I highly recommend it.

is it a 75/6 cast iron case with the 30 spline output or the later aluminum with the 26 spline output?

even I have broke an aluminum one before but if its a cast iron it will be tough ....real tough. I have beat up a cast iron behind a good motor and its still surviving.

is it a 75/6 cast iron case with the 30 spline output or the later aluminum with the 26 spline output?

even I have broke an aluminum one before but if its a cast iron it will be tough ....real tough. I have beat up a cast iron behind a good motor and its still surviving.

This one is the aluminum version. My dad beat on one behind a mild 400 for a long time. He had the can break and it destroyed the engine before the trans went. Maybe I can have the same luck lol.

there are ways to "beef" up the aluminum versions ....putting a bushing on the countershaft helps leaps and bounds but your looking at time and money to bring it up to the toughness that a cast iron unit would have.

Some guys think its worth it for weight savings but how much weight per dollar can you really save.

Ideally I want a new trans either a to five or six speed but that's more money than I'm going to have for a while.

I street-ran both aluminum and cast boxes. Aluminum with bushed C/S bores.Never broke a box. When Passon Perf.came out with the HD aluminum box,I switched to that.Very nice box.

You were talking about the gears being wide it works pretty good for what I am running right now. Its in my truck but the 318 magnum that is in it is a low end torque maker anyway the cam I put in it is good from like 1500-6000ish I dont pull it much above 6k on the stock bottom end. It has 4,56's in the rear. I just wanted to see because I plan on rebuilding my a833 but with future engine upgrades planned I didnt want to rebuild it to just snap it.

they will last forever if you dont do the speed shifts a lot and dont down shift for every stop sign. downshifting wears them out fast, and the speed shifts break stuff.

Grab spare and rebuild it. That way you have a fresh one on the bench if something happens. Much easier than trying to rebuild one in a weekend so you can get to work on monday.

It will hold up pretty good as long as you don't put big tires on it and try to hook up.

I ran one for years. I also broke a couple before I figured out not to speed shift. There great for cruising or going on trips. Its good for showing off making burnouts because low gear is so low. JUST DONT SPEED SHIFT.

wish you were closer to kansas I would hook you up with a cast iron one cheap

If youre running 4.56s and a 3.09low, you better have some pretty tall tires on that truck or first gear will be all but useless. I ran 4.30s with that 3.09low and 27inch tires for a bit.Didnt like it at all. Mostly I started in 2nd(1.92 ratio).

-
Back