A833 Rear 207 bearing

-

Calebnielson6

Reaction score
Alright I am back at it again with the a833 questions... So I'm reassembling the transmission with the new 66-67 tail housing I bought to adapt to the slip yoke and this specific year of tailshaft requires a 207 bearing for the rear (6207 N/C3) and I can't seem to find a snap ring with the wierd prongs on the end anywhere. Does anyone know where to find a snap ring? Passon and Brewers don't seem to have them.

Also does the 207 bearing have to have the groove in the bearing for the snap ring or will the snap ring go in front of the bearing
Thanks.

207 versus the 308 for comparison

20230225_165228.jpg

20230225_165223.jpg

That snapring is A833 specific, and it does NOT go on the bearing at all. Rather is goes in the housing, and so, it's tensioned in the outwards direction.
The usual way to install it, is to put it on the mainshaft before the rear bearing goes on. Then capture the ends together with a home-made tool, slide the whole works in, then position the snapring in the housing, and release the ends. Then, finally, you have to prove the snapring is actually seated, and there is as good as no endplay of the bearing in the housing.
IIRC the snaprings in the automatics are Not thick enough to prevent the bearing from walking around in the housing. If the bearing moves, so will the Mainshaft, and everything on it. And so, since the forks do not move along with it, you may have shifting difficulties.
So then, whatever you install, just make sure the bearing is properly located with little to no endplay.

BTW
before you install the loaded mainshaft, make sure the metal baffle is in there, under the vent.

Last edited:
-
Back