A833 shift proplems

-

aussie duster

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post so i'de like to say gidday...I've read an old post by duster bud with the same problem i'm having ....like hard to get into first and fourth sometimes and sometimes unable to find any gear when stopped .Now everthing is new from shifter to flywheel apart from the trans which i rebuilt myself.....now before you say anything i'm no rocket surgon but no dunce either lol...maybe i did something not quite right. I've done the clutch adjustment to ram spec and the shifter to spec.....Went for cruise Sunday and still playing more than my x wife.........any ideas ....thanks Kev

Yeah, I hate that
The neutral to first, atta stop, is typical for the A833,especially with thick gear-oil in it. This can be because,
1) everything inside has stopped spinning and now the clutch teeth are lined up such that the slider cannot pass over. Sometimes because the brass ring has locked on
2) the clutch disc does not have enough departure, and so is lightly dragging, and so nothing will stop spinning inside and so the brass ring just cannot brake the low gear to a stop.
3) the gearoil is so thick it won't squeeze out fast enough,
4) the dogone brake is too smooth,
5) the brass ring is not 100% round.
6) somebody put synthetic oil in there. Which IMO is just too dang slippery. Flush it out and install a 50/50 mix of Dextron and 80wt gear oil. with NO OTHER additives.

As to the first 5 above; the easy test is to let the car coast down in neutral with the clutch pedal up. Then just before the vehicle comes to a stop, depress the pedal and shift into first. If it slips right in, this eliminates 3 to 5, leaving just 1 and 2..
To eliminate #2, reset your freeplay a little larger than 1inch and try again. If it works now, then your disc was probably dragging. If it doesn't that just leaves
#1.. and I highly recommend a 50/50 mix of Dextron and 80wt gear oil. with NO OTHER additives. To see if the brass is locked; just shift into second and then back into first. If it goes in right away, then the brass was locked with the slider teeth butting up to the clutch-teeth on first, kindof normal, in my experience. To prevent that I usually shift into first with the vehicle still slightly rollng, as the turning driveshaft prevents a jamb-up.

I once RnR'd that A833 about 3 or 4 times in a very short period of time,trying everything I could think of to make synthetic work. In the end I poured the 50/50 back in and it shifted like lightning.

First atta stop is always the hardest in that box.
Hard into direct, while moving is simple; the brass ain't working.
Hard into any gear with the engine off and the vehicle not moving, means exactly nothing. More times than not the clutch teeth will not line up and the brass will lock on right away , and no shift can be made.

Last edited:
My first guess would be the shifter gates. Yes we know you did that but double check.

All shift levers on transmission in neutral, linkage rods off, Pin the center pin on the shifter so that stays in neutral while making the shift rod adjustments, adjust the rods to proper length and put it all back together. See if you can find a picture of the proper shift rod layout for that trans. Sometime the rods can get swapped around and that changes the geometry of the lever swings.

Next guess is to make sure the clutch will fully disengaged with 3/4" free play at the top of the pedal. Quick test is to put the car on level smooth ground, shift it into first with your foot all the way down on the clutch pedal. Start the car, if the car wants to slowly drag forward without your foot on the brake, then you know your clutch is dragging and needs adjustment. 2" of free play at the top of the clutch pedal can be a sign of this problem needing adjustment.

Worn shifter forks inside the trans can be an issue too. Want all the internals in good shape with the gear slides leading up to the sincros.
Bad sincros and worn gear slides are a big cause of bad shifts. The worn Brass Sincros cannot grab the gear anymore and get it up to speed so the gear slide will line up, so ends up hard to shift.

There is a start for you . . .

Thank Aj....i''ll change the oil and try those steps.. i'm pretty sure the clutch is adjusted right + i did that mod to the peddle to give it extra departure..And it's fairly good through gears when you give it some ...and down shifting for a corners is ok although it whines a little in second but hey its my first 833 maybe they just do that....thank again given me some direction.

Dextron is that a mineral auto trans fluid brand?

Dexron is an automatic trans fluid type and can often help with shifting issue's.
(some people run pure ATF just for the reasons AJ mentioned about slipperyness)
One habit I always got in when taking off was to put the trans in second, and then into first.
This positively stops the gears before going into first, and can solve gear crunches going in.
It's such a habit that without thinking about it I do it with every stick shift I drive.

-
Back