A833 to A230 Bellhousing.

-

Tineoidea

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I did quite a lot of searching in the forums, but i wasn't able to find an answer.
So here it goes:

I am currently working on an engine/transmission/rear axle swap into a 1970 Valiant.
The engine wil be a carbureted 360 Magnum. The tranny will be a A833 OD. The axle an 8 1/4. The clutch will be actuated by Z Bar linkage.

I am currently gathering all the parts to do the swap. Today, i got my A833 OD. I tried to do a dry fit to the bellhousing.
Turns out, i was sold the wrong one. The bolt pattern is completely different. The bolt pattern to the engine is the right one at least. After doing a bit of research, it turns out the bellhousing is from a late model A Body with a 3 speed (A230 i believe).

Knowing, that A833 bellhousings are very hard to find where i live, i am looking for a way to adapt the tranny to the bellhousing.
I could not find an adapter plate on the market, but i know people who could machine one for me.
Do you think that could work?

I am not sure, if moving the transmission back the thickness of an adapter plate would cause me to run into problems with the clutch. I have read, that the input shaft of the A833 is 1/4" longer than the A230, which would work in my favor.

I know, i would have to modify the shifter linkage, that's easy. The drive shaft will have to be shortened anyway.
Any other stepping stones you could think of?

Thank you guys in advance.

I mated an a 833 overdrive to a truck bellhousing using a 1/4” plate for an adapter, I machined a 1/4” off the back of the bellhousing.

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

70483470725__D52C5AE7-7209-4729-9629-8EB6C254C30F.jpeg

That is exactly what i had in mind.
Beats me, why i did not think of machining the bellhousing to correct for the added material of the adapter .
Thank you a lot!

Honestly I don’t think the 1/4” would be enough to matter, I have access to a machine shop at work so I did because I could.

-
Back