a833od behind 383

-

themachine

Reaction score
i have a bone stock 383 in my 67 barracuda,

i would like to run the 4 speed OD A833,

what do i have to make this work i have the OD bell housing and trans now
bell housing part #2892 482
when i bought the transmission it also came with the pressure plate, bearing retainer and clutch

any advice would be great

thanks jeff

The car was originally a /6 3 speed on the column

I have the OD bellhousing
Thanks Jeff

When I purchased the transmission its the stock bellhousing that came with A883OD

Not trying to be stupid but,does it fit the big block?

Not trying to be stupid but,does it fit the big block?

Yeah. I been wonderin about that too. I wasn't gonna say nothin cause I never say never in Mopar. But a big block OD bellhousin is somethin I've never seen. Not that that holds any water.

Well I've read on bigblockdart that it has been done I'm trying to figure out if i have the correct bellhousing or need to have this one machined to work

Well I've read on bigblockdart that it has been done I'm trying to figure out if i have the correct bellhousing or need to have this one machined to work

If you need to have the hole opened up, just make note that you will have to figure something out with the clutch fork as it will not have the throw out bearing centered. The OD bellhousing has a different fork mount placement and requires a different fork. You may have to experiment around with different forks to get the right one, or even modify one to work. Pretty easy to work around though.

Oh yeah, It has been done.I just wanted to see an original big block OD bellhousing.Read all the posts on this merge and talk to everyone on here that has personally made this work.But beware of too much torque with a big block and OD trans.Good Luck-let us know how it works.

...and just so you know, Passon Performance has everything you need to make that OD live behind whatever that big block can chunk its way. It ain't cheap though.

When I purchased the transmission its the stock bellhousing that came with A883OD
Just a thought, I don't think they ever made a OD bellhousing for a big block. You might have had the front bearing retainer cut down to fit the bell housing input. Second, is this a aluminum O/D or the cast iron version? The cast iron is much stronger and is the one you should use.

Correct this is not a big block bellhousing, I've heard of them being machined to fit and was curious as the steps I should take to adapt

might be cheaper to find a scatter shield with the removable center rings,,,vs machineing your bell housing,, or have a adpater plate made to make the small block bell fit the big block bolt pattern,,

I think the easiest way to make it fit is use the one size smaller bearing retainer, and machine the proper big block bell, or use a lakewood bell because it would already fit the smaller retainer.
Call Wayne at Brewere's he will know for sure, and have the parts for you.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

Big block mopar to OD833 trans:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-15335/
Lakewood Suspension 15335 - Lakewood Safety Bellhousings

large/multiple images $449.95

+ Wish List
+ compare
Bellhousing, Manual, Steel, Chrysler, Big Block, Each
Application Specific Part: Check Application
Estimated Ship Date: 10/31/2011 Email

OverviewApplicationShow AllMultiple ImagesVideoInstructions
Brand Lakewood Suspension
Manufacturer's Part Number 15335
Part Type Bellhousings
Product Line Lakewood Safety Bellhousings
Summit Racing Part Number LAK-15335
UPC 084041153352

SFI-Approved Yes
Block Plate Included Yes
Bellhousing Bore Diameter (in) 5.125 in.
Bellhousing Depth (in) 7.500 in.
Bellhousing Type New
Clutch Fork Included No
Adjustable Fork Pivot Recommended No
Bellhousing Material Steel
Bellhousing Finish Red enamel
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes Designed for 1959-78 Mopar B, RB, and Hemi applications using New Process A883 overdrive, 420, 435, 4500, T-18, and New Venture 4500 transmissions.

you can take your stock B.B. bellhousing and bearing support from the a833od box and have them machined at a machine shop for around $100 and get yourself a hyd.throwout bearing setup to eliminate the clutch linkage!

you will need a big block bell housing
then you need to have the hole opened up to fit the O/D trans
for a stock 383 an iron case O/D trans should be plenty strong

If you've already got an A833 behind the 383, check the bearing retainer size. If it's a 4.8 diameter, pull it off the straight 4 speed and bolt it on the OD. The OD 833 shares the 308 front bearing with a lot of the later straight 4 speed versions and the 4.80 front bearing retainer interchanges with the 5.125 retainer on the overdrive version. Simply changing out the retainers or turning down the 5.125 one to the 4.80 size allows you to bolt the OD into a bell where the straight 4 speed lived.
Also, I've read that some of the bells with the smaller 4.35 retainer bore size have enough meat to bore out to the 4.80 size, but I personally haven't verified it, or that you wouldn't have fork pivot plate mounting problems even if there's enough meat to bore one.
Shouldn't have to touch ANY clutch parts going from one 833 to another if you get the retainer bore size issue resolved.

350hp limit on od 4spd? Nobody told mine- I'm running an iron case OD in my demon with a healthy 408- eddy heads, 275hl cam. The gear spread can be frustrating if you're behind a grandma in traffic- you're either lugging or screaming.

I run an 8.75" rear with 4.11 gears. My old close ratio 23 spline was kinda boring- I would be in 4th all the time wanting another gear. The OD is awesome on the highway although I am a little ginger with it- 1:1 is still the gear for playing around. The 3.09 1st is short but spectacular.

Good luck!

-
Back