A833OD Questions

-

cecil4speed

Reaction score
Hi guys. Replacing the A833 in my Dart with an A833OD unit. I have the complete setup including proper bellhousing for the OD and clutch fork for the OD bellhousing. Am I correct in assuming no difference in flywheels and also assuming no difference in z-bar or clutch fork mounting? This should be a direct bolt in, right? Thanks, Keith.

If it is a 10.50 diameter clutch the flywheel is good. Is the OD an A/F body, short tailshaft? What year or casting number is on the bellhousing? Look on the Brewers website. I'd double check the z-bar pivot that bolts to the bellhousing...

I like it, but I'm using 2.94s. I think its going to need 23s or 55s though. I have a strong motor, but the OD is so low its almost unuseable.

Also can anyone tell me what Mopar recommanded for oil in these OD transmissions? Thanks, Keith.

I believe it is just normal 85/90w gear oil, unless you live in an extremely cold climate. One of the posters on here said he was using ATF in his, since it is sold cold where he lives.

I'd leave all the stock junk in the car and have the input bearing retainer on the OD tranny turned down to fit into a regular A833 bellhousing.

You won't have to change all the other stuff like clutch linkage, etc. Just slam it in!

Only other difference is the 3/4 shift rod points down instead of up.

Check the size of the output shaft, the od trans is the same as a 904 automatic.

All my OD trannys take the 727 yoke, but some might take the smaller 904 one.

I like it, but I'm using 2.94s. I think its going to need 23s or 55s though. I have a strong motor, but the OD is so low its almost unuseable.

Yea I've been doing some calculations and I think I will look for a set of 3.91's or 4.10's. This would bring me to roughly around a 3.00 ratio in OD. I'm running 3.55's now, but I think the OD is not going to work that well with these. How do you find the straight 2.94's for just cruising around on rural roads? They should be great on the highway. Keith

I just did this swap. The bell ball stud is different on the OD unit. However, I did not use an OD bell.

Also another question. Where the ball stud is different, but I have the correct fork for the OD bellhousing, will I be OK with the swap, other than maybe changing the length of the z-bar push rod, or possibly maybe fabricating a different style puh rod ? Thanks, Keith.

The 94s are ok for around town, but I can tell its lazy. I've had 2.94s for years, but with a 904/low first gear and a 10" converter which bandaided the low end. As far as the fork goes, I found Brewers site very educational in terms of similar and not similar parts info. On mine, I used a 340 bell and opened the hole to 4.8, and turned down the brg retainer to 4.8. This way I can run any trans in the future including Jamie's. I used th TTI Z bar which fits PERFECT. All other parts are stock for a 71.

Does it have the stock 4 speed stuff in it or are you starting from scratch?

All the stock 4 speed stuff in the car can be reused if you turn the OD tranny's input bearing retainer down to fit the bellhousing. The tranny will just bolt it then with no need to change the bellhousing, z-bar, or any clutch parts.

This swap is super simple, it sounds like you're over complicating it.

The shifter and shift rods can be reused, but the 3/4 shift tab is flipped on the OD trannys, so you might need to modify that shift rod.

I have converted at least six cars over to 4 speeds so far, and just wrapped one up Friday.

All the stock 4 speed stuff in the car can be reused if you turn the OD tranny's input bearing retainer down to fit the bellhousing. The tranny will just bolt it then with no need to change the bellhousing, z-bar, or any clutch parts.

The shifter and shift rods can be reused, but the 3/4 shift tab is flipped on the OD trannys, so you might need to modify that shift rod.

I have converted at least six cars over to 4 speeds so far, and just wrapped one up Friday.

So on a stock 4 speed car, the simplest way to accomplish a swap to an OD trans would be to modify the OD tranny's bearing retainer, and use a stock OD shifter?
Do these OD trans work well with a sure grip with 3:23s?

So on a stock 4 speed car, the simplest way to accomplish a swap to an OD trans would be to modify the OD tranny's bearing retainer, and use a stock OD shifter?

Yes, all you need to modify is the input bearing retainer and it's super easy if you have access to a lathe. There is no interference with the mounting bolts. There is no gasket, so just clean it up and smear a bit of gasket goo and you're done!

The shifter is even the same, only difference is the 3/4 tab points down instead of up and you might need to modify the shifter rod. Easy stuff.

I've done this several times before.

Do these OD trans work well with a sure grip with 3:23s?

Yes! I have an OD tranny with a 3.23 LSD in a '70 Challenger with 26" tall tires and love it!

The OD trannys have a 3.09 first gear which helps get you out of the hole a little faster and the 0.73 drops the final cruise to down to a happy cruising level.

Some people complain about the gear ratio spread but I've never minded it. FWIW the gear ratio spread is almost exactly the same as the GM 700r4 automatic.

Are you saying you can turn the 5.125" retainer clear down to the 4.354" size?

I was told you had to enlarge the stock 4.354" hole in the bell housing to work with the 4.805" size retainer. Then you could either swap retainers or turn down the larger retainer to 4.805". Did the factory use a bell housing with a 4.805" register on a small block?

Not in "A" bodies. They used the stock 4.354" hole in the bell housing untill the OD. Supposedly some OD were made with the 4.354 retainer, but I have never seen a factory one. I have built a few.

Are you saying you can turn the 5.125" retainer clear down to the 4.354" size?

I was told you had to enlarge the stock 4.354" hole in the bell housing to work with the 4.805" size retainer. Then you could either swap retainers or turn down the larger retainer to 4.805". Did the factory use a bell housing with a 4.805" register on a small block?

I don't understand where this "turndown" hooha is comin from myself. Here are the different size bearing retainers. Clearly to go from the largest to smallest is impossible. I'm not sure it can be done from the largest to the middle. It would be close for sure.

Attachments

• RETAINERS.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 477
Hmmm, maybe not the earlier A-bodies, but I've done it personally on the B and E bodies to hang the OD tranny off scattershields with the smaller IBR, I would have assumed the A bodies would be the same!

What's the mounting bolt spacing on the small IBR? I have an OD IBR I can measure here to see if it's possible.

You can turn the od retainer to 4.8 and open the bell to 4.8.
It can be done, but cheaper to find the right parts.

...Clearly to go from the largest to smallest is impossible...

That is what I was told when I was looking to do the OD swap.

From what I've seen and read, you can use what you have, The OD trans, Bellhousing, and other OD stuff. The only difference is the bracket on the bellhousing for the z-bar. If you have the 72 up (OD ) one, you are good to go. If not you need the 72 up bracket, $20 from Brewers Performance. Doesn't get any easier than that. Call them and double check if you want.

Looks like a lot of interest in this subject. I would like to thank everyone for their information on the conversion. Only problem I see is clutch fork ball and/or the z-bar mount. Should be easy stuff to overcome. Still not quite sure what to run for oil, so I think I will just run 80w90 gear oil. Thanks again, Keith.

Straight 4 spd with 4.80 bearing retainer and overdrive both use a 308 front bearing in the transmission and both retainers share bolt patterns. That's why you can swap the 5.125 retainer for a 4.80. As stated above some have bored their bellhousing with the smaller bore out to 4.8. While it sure would save clutch linkage hassles, you might want to double check if the particular bell you're using has enough meat around the retainer bore before doing so.

A couple of years ago Mother Mopar (Mopar Performance) had a run of the various size bearing retainers made up. Making them available again drove the cost down of what was out there used, at least for a while.

Not to highjack....but since this is coming so close to what i need to do.....what will i need to make my OD swap happen in a 63 dart slant with 3 on the tree? Is it possible I can convert my present 3 speed bellhousin to a 4 speed? I mean it IS aluminum and we gotta REAL good machine shop in Macon.

-
Back