A904-30Rh Fresh Rebuild. No 3rd gear, Please Help

-
Check out this pic from Trans-go's shift kit instructions. I circled the part that Kim was referring too earlier when he asked if it had a 3/8" check ball in it cause that'll cause no 3rd gear. It's easy to get the 3/8" check ball from the shifter detent mixed up with the 11/32" ball in the VB because their so close in size. Looking at the pic of your VB it's the lower left ball and looks pretty big. Something worth double checking

View attachment 1715335817
The shift detent ball is metal and all the check balls are the plastic material. Only one 11/32 ball. Thank you for thinking of that though.

Also make sure and air pressure test everything once all the clutch packs and pump are installed. That'll tell you if they are all working correctly. Do you know how or have a manual that shows you how to do an air pressure test?

I know how to air check and I have air checked. I get clunks but also a ton of air. When I check front clutch a lot of air leaks out the other clutch check hole. I don't know how to really convince myself its doing what its suppose to. Manuals say if you hear a low quiet clunk thats good but air hissing is bad. I cant possibly do the check without hearing air hissing out of places.

Oh I see your suppose to hold your finger over the other hole. I say it air checks perfect in that case.

Are you planning on reassembling this without putting the pump in a vise and installing the direct drum over it and air checking it while you watch the clutch apply and check then for leaks? And check the clearance? I keep asking you those two things.

Are you planning on reassembling this without putting the pump in a vise and installing the direct drum over it and air checking it while you watch the clutch apply and check then for leaks? And check the clearance? I keep asking you those two things.

I actually dont have my vise right now, so I put it back in the transmission to air check it again. Assembling the clutches and piston seals was a very easy thing to do and I feel pretty good about those being perfect.

I'm going to take the risk and throw it back in today and see the results.

I now have the correct 1-2 shift spring valve spring. I feel like you were right and that it never went into 2nd gear.

The kick-down valve spring is correct.

And the shuttle valve spring is correct.

Well you don't actually have to have a vise. Just something to hold it. Or drill a hole in your work bench for the front to stick thru so you can set the drum on it to check it without having it fall over. I wonder how many trans guys read that and are just shaking their heads. You feel good about it you say? That doesn't count when it's so easy to check it. I can't believe anybody would be willing to install this whole thing without taking that step and checking it. Then you can see the clearance and even put some fluid in it and watch for bubbles. I air check every single drum I rebuild BEFORE it goes into the trans. Actually I air check them before I remove the piston because I'm looking for the problem that caused the trans to go out. Sometime I have to install the new clutches first so the piston doesn't come up too far. . . And you STILL don't know your clutch clearance..

Well you don't actually have to have a vise. Just something to hold it. Or drill a hole in your work bench for the front to stick thru so you can set the drum on it to check it without having it fall over. I wonder how many trans guys read that and are just shaking their heads. You feel good about it you say? That doesn't count when it's so easy to check it. I can't believe anybody would be willing to install this whole thing without taking that step and checking it. Then you can see the clearance and even put some fluid in it and watch for bubbles. I air check every single drum I rebuild BEFORE it goes into the trans. Actually I air check them before I remove the piston because I'm looking for the problem that caused the trans to go out. Sometime I have to install the new clutches first so the piston doesn't come up too far. . . And you STILL don't know your clutch clearance..

I’m sorry, I know how stupid it is. With my limited about of working space, area and tools right now it’s easier for me to just suffer and install it.

How often is there a clearance issues with new frictions and steels? I’m positive my new seals are install correctly and sealing.

Often enough that I check every single drum and I've been rebuilding them since 1980. I wouldn't call it stupid; just a waste of time. I thought you said you heard a clunk but then the hiss of air? If you're wrong, then you have to take it out again. If you're right then you'll stay on a solidified path of incorrect thinking.

Often enough that I check every single drum and I've been rebuilding them since 1980. I wouldn't call it stupid; just a waste of time. I thought you said you heard a clunk but then the hiss of air? If you're wrong, then you have to take it out again. If you're right then you'll stay on a solidified path of incorrect thinking.

Well I got lucky, everything is working perfect.

-
Back