A904 Dipstick

-

Travis G.

Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully this is an easy one! I have a A904-G out of my 65 valiant that didn't come with a dipstick. Was at pick n pull and found a dart with an a904 so I took it's (what looked like stock) dipstick and through it in mine. But the problem im seeing is that the min/max mark is about 3 inches above the spot on the trans where the tube mounts into, passanger side above the pan. So I went online and bought a PCE 495.1010 dipstick and tube. but it's min/max spot is about an inch below the tube mount on the trans. Does this seem to be about the right area? Does anyone know very roughly where the min/max spot is on their sticks, above the mounting surface inside the tube, level with the tube mounting surface, below the mount surface inside the pan???

Thank you, I get this is kinda stupid but I'm having trouble finding the answer on the web.

20200721_091554.jpg

I had a similar situation, but while I still had the dipstick the handle was broken off - there was no good way to get it out of the tube to check the fluid. I got another dipstick that fit the tube at a junk yard but it came out of a pickup and was way longer than I needed. I used the old dipstick to measure against the new one, cut the new one and bent it to match the old one, and used a file to copy over the low/full hash marks. I can get you the measurements if that would help. This is all for a slant 904 if that makes a difference.

I cannot answer your question, exactly. But I know this,
If the level is too high, then the sun shell will pick up oil and fling it all around inside there. There's a good chance some will find it's way up into the vent and drip out onto the ground. This flinging business aerates the oil, and also sends it up the dipstick tube, making it hard to check the level.
So, IMO, the oil level should be below the sunshell at least.
If the oil level is higher than the pan-rail, it will want to seep thru the gasket. So, now, IMO the running level should be below the panrail.
But the filter should remain in the oil at all times.Normally it sits on or nearly on, the bottom of the pan, so IMO, that is not an issue.
The oil level is checked on level ground with the engine running and the trans in Neutral.
Hope that helps.

AJ, if the level is below the pan rail as u say, how would the pan gasket leak or the manual valve seal leak when sitting. Kim

AJ, if the level is below the pan rail as u say, how would the pan gasket leak or the manual valve seal leak when sitting. Kim
sorry Kim you lost me.
If the oil level is higher than the pan-rail, it will want to seep thru the gasket.
My post was in regards to a running engine,lol.

-
Back