A904 filter conversion?

-

Doug.S

1964 Dart More Door
Reaction score
So I have a 1964 Dodge Dart with /6 and A904 push button auto. Trans came out the car for a rebuild and I have been tearing down and cleaning the sub-assemblies for the rebuild. Trans ID is 2408002S which is a 1963 A904 HD and the production date or serial stamp is 0891693. When I got the thing on the bench I realized I don't have a filter attached to the valve body, I have a metal mesh screen. I understand that some cars around 1963-1964 had this set up with a filter in the cooler lines. I found that inline filter from fatsco, but that is not what I want to do. I want to know if anyone here has any knowledge of the conversion over to the two hole filter that screws to the bottom of the valve body? In the 1964 parts catalog under 21-117-0 TRANSMISSION OIL FILTER there is a NOTE: See Code 9-46-27 for tubes. Then it lists a filter part# B2466846 and gastket part# 2205202. I really want to know what that Code -46-27 is all about. Or has anyone out there already done this?
Thanks
Doug

You would need to find a 1964 valve body to make the internal filter setup work.
The external filter is an all around better thing, though

Here is a pic of the bottom of the valve body. Do I just screw that 2 hole Dacron filter onto the valve body where the metal mesh filter came off? I thought there were nipples that stuck down into the holes on the filter.

IMG_3935.JPG

Here is a pic of the bottom of the valve body. Do I just screw that 2 hole Dacron filter onto the valve body where the metal mesh filter came off? I thought there were nipples that stuck down into the holes on the filter.

View attachment 1715161319

Mopar filters just sit flush on the valve body with no nipples protruding.
We only used to use screen filters on race transmissions and Dacron type on all the others.
Screen is better flow volume and Dacron is better filtering.
Yes, they are interchangeable.

Thank you for the fast replies. I have also spoken to Pat Blais and he too says just bolt the 2 hole Darcon to the valve body and drive.
For those who know a bit more about this trans and its early set up, I have a new style pan in waiting to be installed. The original pan on these early 1960's A904's was very shallow. I mean you can't fit the two hole Darcon filter on the valve body and have clearance to the bottom shallow. So at the recommendation of Slantsixdan through a different thread, I bought the new style trans pan and the reusable gasket. I figure I will increase my fluid capacity by at least 2 quarts maybe more. I know the additional fluid wont make any performance difference, but it is more fluid to flow and dissipate heat.
Doug

-
Back