a904 problem

-

Kody meile

Reaction score
hello all, so got my car running and driving recently 65 barracuda 318\904\stockconverter, my i put a valve body in it that has a stg 3 shift kit in it that worked in another 904, for some reason it would only shift with the line pressure lever completely disconnected, it would never shift with the lever cranked back a little, half way or wide open

the trans has all new clutches, bands and seals, air checked everything is fine,this is my 5th torqueflite ive rebuilt, but anyways, the valvebody ive ran in my truck (75d100 318\727)
for a few months and it worked amazing along with a friends car previous to my truck, got another valvebody for that and out came the modified valvebody, so i already knew the valvebody worked fine, but for some reason in it wont shift with the line pressure lever opened on this trans

any suggestions would be grateful thanks

Who's shift kit? Transgo? In stock Torqueflites, governor pressure overcomes line pressure to allow the shift. Do the line and governor pressure tests outlined in the FSM.

Stage 3 is full manual right?
In the previous combo;
you had to block the governor circuit with a tiny cup plug. So now the trans has no way of knowing what the roadspeed is and the VB has no way of commanding the shift. So you gotta tell it when to shift ..... by Moving the shifter.
But if you forgot to transfer the cup plug,to the current trans, and intend to keep the Full Manual feature;
well then the governor is gonna try and run the show. In which case the governor flyweight has to be matched to the rear end ratio. and the VB has to be put back into Stage 2.
But if you want to keep it as a Stage 3, then you gotta go get that cup-plug, or procure a replacement.

Thread the governor hole and install a Allen head screw a little more than flush. Or does your tranny have a rear pump? If so u cannot change to a newer valve body. Kim

-
Back