a904 Throttle Lever Shaft Clocking

-

ScamperTom

Supposed to be working
Reaction score
There are lots of threads on how to set up the kick down linkage properly, but my problem is at the trans.

I replaced the shift shaft/kickdown lever seal on a new used transmission. After reinstalling the lever, it now points forward, not sideways. Moreover, the lever on my old transmission had a significant amount of "spring" to it, whereas the new one just swings back and forth with no resistance. Here's a picture of the old transmission, with the position and arc of the lever on the new one in red.

IMG_0930.jpg

Right now the kick down linkage won't function properly because the lever is too far forward. I'm confused: these levers only go on one way, right? It's almost as if the entire shaft swung 90 degrees. Am I missing something here? Did some transmissions have the kick down lever facing a different way?

It's assembled incorrectly inside. Drop the pan and post pics.

Not what I wanted to hear! I was hoping there’d be an innocent explanation for this. But I think you may be right.

I think you have the lever upside down.

I’m certain i put it back on right side up. In any case, the lever doesn’t have much of an angle either way, but it’s about 90 degrees off. I’ll double check anyway.

I think you're going to have to remove the e-clip from the top and drop it down and re-clock it.

Is that something I could have accidentally messed up when i changed the seal? And can i fix that without removing the pan or valve body?

There’s absolutely no spring to the lever. Here’s a pic of the lever fully forward:
66457400-7BBC-42E5-9DB1-BD24B265D2A2.jpeg

Know what, that's a good idea; remove the e-clip and drop it down about a quarter inch. Then find whaere it engages a spring tension when it's back up all the way. Figure the flat pointing directly toward the side.

OK well I pulled the levers and the e-clip and tried messing around but with no success. I remember I pulled the e-clip when I changed the seal and wasn't careful about keeping the throttle shaft up all the way.

From this picture (727 but it's the same right?) it looks like the shaft is now on the wrong side of the stop screw and can't engage the throttle pressure valve.... Which means that the spring in the valve could have popped out?

attachment.php

I can push the shaft down and around to the right place, but it seems stuck in that position; just rotates fractionally. I really don't want to get into the valve body but it looks like that's gonna be necessary. I'm gonna give it one more shot to try and pop it around to the right side of the stop screw.

Last edited:
Ya it probably popped out. But you should be able to get it together without dropping the vb. Is the flat towards the driver side? When you put it all back together, remember to have the kd lever at the top of the shaft.

Ya it probably popped out. But you should be able to get it together without dropping the vb. Is the flat towards the driver side? When you put it all back together, remember to have the kd lever at the top of the shaft.
Yeah the flat is toward the drivers side. I can move it there at least. Yeah, once I put it back together I'm gonna make sure that clip goes back in immediately! haha Definitely don't want this to come back to haunt me.

I mean if your shift lever is up a little bit and the kd is a little bent down, it will jump into reverse when you hit the gas.

I mean if your shift lever is up a little bit and the kd is a little bent down, it will jump into reverse when you hit the gas.
Oh, gotcha, you mean the kd lever could hit the shift lever and switch gears on ya. Seems like they should have a larger margin of error.

No the throttle valve cannot pop out.
You just have to drop the stem down enough to clear the screwhead,then rotate the actuator end as far CCW (I think it is) until it slides under the TV ; then simultaneously gently pull up and rotate the other direction until it pops up into the window. Then verify you have spring action, and install the E-clip.
It sounds complicated but once you have done just once, the second time will only take a second. Well except for re-installing the E-clip,Don't lose it.

If you get spring action , you're in; I have had to do this a few times; the window is small but it's doable.

Last edited:
No dice. The shaft is in the right position (same lever as the last transmission so i can compare), and the clip can even be attached, but it’s not engaging either the spring or the stop screw. Something must be pretty screwed up for that to happen I guess.

Well I dropped the pan and took a look at it. Turns out I had just not pulled the shaft high enough to engage the valve. I must have been forcing the e-clip because it must not have been on right. Anyway, it was a quick fix.

IMG_0942.jpeg

Can u take out the neutral start switch and look inside? Kim
I didn't think of that. That would have been a good idea. Shining a light down there would have let me see what the situation was.

-
Back