A904 Transmisson deeper oil pan questions

-
Some folks just don't understand that a transmission is a hydraulic unit that needs fluid to operate AND lubricate. 8 quarts in a trans that takes 11 will suck air into the pump and NOT LUBRICATE bushings. The pump bushing will burn in about one minute; taking the converter with it. Same as a motor with the oil light on; it's gonna blow. If you had an oil light on a transmission that needed 11 to be full, but you only put in 8; the oil light would be on and you would shut it off. Sorta like rocket science.. for some people..
AND you could have an oil pan a foot deep and run the same amount of fluid as a stock pan; as long as you had an extension that reached the fluid in the bottom of the pan; you would be about 12" below the full mark and it would be just fine. Oh and there are 302s out there that won't rev 5500 rpm. Doesn't google still work??
Exactly

Some folks just don't understand that a transmission is a hydraulic unit that needs fluid to operate AND lubricate. 8 quarts in a trans that takes 11 will suck air into the pump and NOT LUBRICATE bushings. The pump bushing will burn in about one minute; taking the converter with it. Same as a motor with the oil light on; it's gonna blow. If you had an oil light on a transmission that needed 11 to be full, but you only put in 8; the oil light would be on and you would shut it off. Sorta like rocket science.. for some people..
AND you could have an oil pan a foot deep and run the same amount of fluid as a stock pan; as long as you had an extension that reached the fluid in the bottom of the pan; you would be about 12" below the full mark and it would be just fine. Oh and there are 302s out there that won't rev 5500 rpm. Doesn't google still work??
U disagreed with my post #22 and now u type this. U just shot itself in the foot. Kim

One of the benefits of the deep pan is keeping the trans fluid cooler because there is more fluid to absorb heat.
Downside is that a deep pan is the best speed bump killer you can get....
If this was my car:
- use the stock pan & next time you remove it, fit a drain plug.
- in the meantime, up grade the trans cooler capacity to keep the fluid cooler. I had two coolers on my car at one time. If you use two, connect them in parallel, not series.

-
Back