?????? about headers

-

godfatherofchry

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
my son just bought a set of headmen headers for his 76 dart with a 360 in it.and was wondering how well they fit.Im sure there are the best that could be bought noing the man he got them from.I don't know much about the small block heders like how low do they hang under the car or anything like that.........the car has stock manafolds on it now with a nice flow master exast sysem and the pass side manifold is cracked....thanks for any help on this I know you guys have more knolage on this than I do.....hope you can make this out my spell cheak isn't working for sum resun.lol:banghead::banghead:..thanks again Artie:coffee::coffee:

From my experience (which is little lol) they do not hang to low. The fit might be difficult if you have the stock full size starter and stock oil filter location. I run Hedmans on my 74 Dart 318 and i bought a mini starter and a 90 degree adapter for the filter. If its an automatic you'll have to flip the shift linkage. Nothing to serious tho. Hope this helps. Good luck

I run Hedmans and they are probably coming off after reading the thread about actual HP difference around 300HP. Part of the reason, though, is that I'm thinking of turbo, and "having them off" will save heartache (to remove) if that happens.

But they do fit. Problems I had may have been due to biscuit mounts in my 67. When I went to a spool mount K frame the "fit" improved in some areas

Problems with the 67 biscuit mount K:

Had to dent the headers on pass side for T bars, and to clear aftermarket pan flange (Miloden)

Had to dent driver side but don't remember why.

"Big" starter clears. You have to remember the jigs for these were first built long before min starters were ever dreamed of

I don't run a 90 adapter. "Short" (51068 Wix) filter

With the spool mounts, it turns out to be nearly impossible to remove the block drain plugs

Not sure how well they fit or not with PS. I have a manual box

Only time I scraped the low tubes was when I mis-judged a poorly marked curb and actually drove out over part of the curb. But you DO have to keep this in mind and not go "off roading" so to speak.

For bolts, I use standard bolts on several on both sides. I think the right side had two header bolts.

On the left, there were two that use small head (header) bolts, and a third, the one next to no5, I used an allen head, which I access with a ball head allen wrench

I have a set on a 73 duster not a dart but close enough.

I have a short style oil filter but normal size starter.

They do hang down some in my opinion, already have road rash scars on both sides.
I raised the front end because of it.

The passenger side only is rubbed by the ball joint on the steering linkage a little bit.
Had to run the steering arm through the headers on the drivers side.

I have no problem with PS either, this is all on a 318 though mind you

Im satisfied with them all in all.

I'm sure he'll crush the tubes at some point. I certainly have a few crushed sets under my belt.

Good thing is they're generally cheap enough that he can buy a few sets before he equals the cost of those TTI's that don't hang down. I always thought about adding a skid plate but never got around to fabbing something up.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll actually you can't. Hedmans are only about half the cost of TTIs and TTIs dont' hang down

One thing you can do with the low tubes ( and I did not) is to tach weld a small piece of sheet metal on the bottom so that if you do scrape, it will help protect the tubes.

The one really really really BIG ***** I hated about Hedmans are that I didn't find out, until I got them, that the painted ones COME with freekin LOW TEMPERATURE PAINT. It is a real SOB to have to strip that all off there just so you can respray with hi temp paint.

thanks for all the input on this.never had any abodys with small blocks I've always put big blocks in them which at some point he will to but for a going to school or work car the small block will be good.and his everyday driver kick his friends rustangs and cumaros ***,s....would any of you have a pic. of them on the car??ya I know now im being a real pain in the ***!!!:violent1::violent1:...thanks any ways......Artie:coffee2:

after a few sets of the cheap headers (Hedman, Mopar performance (probably made be Hedman...) and another set) I went back to manifolds on the 318 in my 69 Barracuda. (hung way too low, scraped and collapsed tubes), I stayed with 318 manifolds when I installed the 360 until I saved up enough for a set of TTIs. VERY glad I did that.

I had hedmans on my dart, had to bend them, dent them, and they still were terrible. Mine were pretty well collapsed within a year. I cut them off with a sawzall and got some block hugger headers. My recommendation is tti or Doug's. That's what I'll be running next. I like my block huggers but eventually want to go back to long tubes.

Those style cost $100 so if the TTIs are only twice as much!? Funny math. There are tons of the ads on here about TTIs not fitting just right either. Funny thing there is that is not the fault of the golden boy headers but some problem with your car. When the reasonably priced headers don't fit just right its because they are just junk apparently.

nomather what brand of headers, the biggest probable isue is the car itself,these cars where not built right in the first place and they sure didnt get better over the years.

i carted around a near new set of hedmans to flea markets for about three years and couldn't get $50 for them...ended up giving them to a friend.He has since passed away and his brothers's son has all his stuff now.

thanks to every one,my boy found of a set local from Cole McCallister.that came off a show car with black ceramic coat.thats never been fired for 30.00 bucks!.thanks again Artie

-
Back