About those new Durango commercials...

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Have you seen any of them? I seen the first one about 2 weeks ago and thought it was pretty cool. Abandoned circle track, moaning over the loss of American muscle when two new Durangos go by...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcY4Di6OgWw"]‪Dodge Durango | Long Lost Performance | Commercial‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Well, Byron Georgia makes the news again! The commercials were filmed in my back yard (figuratively speaking). The racetrack was built in 1966. In the first race, a young Richard Petty won and set a speed record for 1/2 mile tracks (a little over 82 mph). The following year a moonshine still was found in an underground bunker under the stands. In 1970 it was the site of the Atlanta Pop Festival...

A short newspaper article here:
http://www.macon.com/2011/07/16/1633114/byron-raceway-roars-back-to-life.html
Enjoy!
C

Yeah I know one of the guys personally that help set all that up and did a lot of the artwork involved. David Sutton. He and his wife are members of our church.....or the church we all used to go to. lol I got um both on my Facebook page. Good folks. I'm not 100% sure all that wouldda happened there had david not been involved. He was partly responsible for bringing them to middle Georgia. Rodney Byrd, another good friend and Facebook friend runs a transmission shop in Milledgeville, C&R transmissions. Chrysler actually approached them about shooting another commercial in a drag strip setting since they are the local big time Mopar boys. They wanted to use one of his race cars, Ancient Orange, a 60s front engine dragster on a dragstrip type commercial setting...but it didn't pan out. Here's Ancient Orange. Rodney's a member here, I think. Maybe he'll chime in and tell the rest of the story that I messed up or left out. And I don't think he's aware of my friendship with David. Small world. lol Rodney is the guy that likes food. lol

Attachments

• Ancient Orange.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Acient Orange1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Ancient Orange2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 177
yea i saw the commercial the other day. i thought it was kinda lame. i mean your talking about HP and you roll out the durango? you would think they would have rolled out the fat pig slob of a car that they call the challenger and at the very least the 4 door Mitsubishi lancer looking pile of crap charger for that commercial. guess chrysler knows all they represent is whats wrong with the company and not HP..

I don't disagree. But it helped shape the cars you and I have.

yea i saw the commercial the other day. i thought it was kinda lame. i mean your talking about HP and you roll out the durango? you would think they would have rolled out the fat pig slob of a car that they call the challenger and at the very least the 4 door Mitsubishi lancer looking pile of crap charger for that commercial. guess chrysler knows all they represent is whats wrong with the company and not HP..

Man....at least we all have our opinions......

Well I thought it was kinda cool. I know Calvin lives only a few miles from the racetrack. It gives us podunk hillbillies somethin to be proud of around here I guess. I think some folks would find somethin wrong with a free piece of...well...you know.

Excitement is what sells cars and that's what's been missing for a long time so it's good to see a commercial like that. And interesting to hear about the track and the local history. On a side note, I did not realize Debbie Downer was into a-bodies....lol jk abodyjoe:mrgreen: There's truth to what you say too.

-
Back