About to mod my virgin 318

-
I see your not going with a cam now but when you eventually do I'd stick with something similar to comp xe262, engine masters did a build to a stock low compression long block with 4bbl, headers and that comp cam and made 282hp at like 5000rpm and made with stock 2bbl and cam with headers 170hp so you should be around 200hp show you how weak the stock cam is.

yeah, as others have mentioned the 284/484 is too big for the cam and heads. To use it you'll need better heads and deck the block, and then a better intake and headers. Nothing wrong with second hand cam as long as you match the lobes and lifters or use new lifters as long as it's cheap enough.

Thanks guys. The xe262 is the overwhelming response I've seen for this setup. I can't find a sound clip of it at idle though. There are plenty of xe268 stock 318 sound clips on youtube though. Oh well.

Back from the dead.

Decided to not mess with the cam for now.

Current progress about to be finished this week.

Stock 2bbl Holley -> 600cfm Holley DP.
Stock Intake -> Edelbrock Performer with 318 ports
Stock exhaust manifolds -> Hedman Longtubes
New AC Parts
Went with a front end rebuild from PST.

I'm looking forward to a much better riding/driving car when it's back together.

Any updates? How did this handfull of parts wake up the "teen"? Are you happy with the results?

Just match the components. If the car is heavy, lock-up torque converter (like a diplomat), 2.76 gears with a 15 inch tire, it will require a whole different set up compare to a 3000 pound car with a aftermarket converter and 3.55 gears. Considering if most components on the car are stock, most are correct on telling you a 340 type cam is the best choice. If you go with a bigger cam than a 340 type it will require a little head work and some sort of a minor upgrade for a converter and gears. I actually one time used a 360 2bbl cam and it added performance!!! Last, 600cfm will work fine, but a double pumper?? Might be a bit of an overload if your going to stick to stock.

Any updates? How did this handfull of parts wake up the "teen"? Are you happy with the results?

Sorry I missed this post. I ended up going with a Edelbrock vacuum secondary carb. Other than that the recipe stayed the same The car was a very fun cruiser with cold ac and decent handling for a 40 year old car.

I sold it to a friend of mine who was looking for a weekend cruiser and picked up a Dart to have some fun with.

-
Back