About to mod my virgin 318

-

MattP

Reaction score
When I picked up my '72 she still was pretty much bone stock.

I've picked up a small pile of parts to perk up the driving experience.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my parts list.

Here's the plan

Stock 2bbl Holley -> 600cfm Holley DP.
Stock Intake -> Edelbrock Performer with 318 ports
Stock cam -> .484 purple shaft
Stock exhaust manifolds -> Hedman Longtubes

I'm hoping to achieve a little more pep for around town cruising and get a little rumble at idle from the cam.

Did I get the right parts?

That cam is way to big. I wouldnt go any bigger then something like the XE268 or better the XE262

What gears and converter do you plan to use ? What about rear tire size ?

That cam is way to big. I wouldnt go any bigger then something like the XE268 or better the XE262

Double checking the cam. It came from a guy who ran it in a 340 and wanted something a little more radical.

That cam is 240* of duration @.050" and ground on a 108lsa. It will have no torque in a low compression 318. I would be looking at something in the 250-260 advertised range or 214-220 @.050" range. and run 323-355 gears with a 26" rear tire or 391-410 gears with a 28" tire. Get a good 11" converter. Make sure your distributor is curved for the bigger cam.

Buy a new cam, dont run a used one.

What gears and converter do you plan to use ? What about rear tire size ?

Tire is 245-45-17 25.7" diameter.

Not sure what gear is in it. It's not a steep racing gear. I'll have to count the driveshaft rotations when the rear end is in the air this afternoon.

Converter is whatever came with it. Again.. probably pretty close to stock.

you are using a used cam?

Yes.

Picked up the parts from a local guy who pulled out his 340 for a big block.

What's the issue with running a low mileage used cam? It's used the moment I start the motor.

do you have all the lifters marked for the lobes they were on originally ? They have already worn in to one another. If you swap lobes/lifter now chances are it wont live long.

When I picked up my '72 she still was pretty much bone stock.

I've picked up a small pile of parts to perk up the driving experience.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my parts list.

Here's the plan

Stock cam -> .484 purple shaft
Stock exhaust manifolds -> Longtubes

I'm hoping to achieve a little more pep for around town cruising and get a little rumble at idle from the cam.

Did I get the right parts?

Yes and no.
For an auto trans, go with a 600cfm vacuum secondary carb.
Edelbrock performer...... Big yes.
Used 484 purple shaft..... No. Like Adam said,an XE262 Comp would work well.
Long tube headers....Get down.

For more pep around town ? Leave the motor as is,slap the 4bbl carb/ intake on,and a set of headers. Put on a good ignition,and Let'er Rip!

Yes and no.
For an auto trans, go with a 600cfm vacuum secondary carb.
Edelbrock performer...... Big yes.
Used 484 purple shaft..... No. Like Adam said,an XE262 Comp would work well.
Long tube headers....Get down.

For more pep around town ? Leave the motor as is,slap the 4bbl carb/ intake on,and a set of headers. Put on a good ignition,and Let'er Rip!

Glad I asked.

Local guys are saying the purple shaft will work, but web research says it's not the optimum choice.

I bought the DP to be able to eventually mod it for a blow through setup. The more likely scenario now is whatever mods go on the car in the next few months will be the mods that stay on for the next 2 years. Turbo will go on once the wife completes her masters and subsequent career change. Walking away from a $80k job and on the fast track to start over. :banghead: Short term will suck, but long term should be worth the trouble.

Since I will be running this carb longer than I had originally planned I may sell off the DP and opt for a vacuum secondary.

I had hoped to get a cam with a little lope to it, but it does look like the purple shaft is too big. It'll go in the for sale bin.

Will the XE262 provide the wanted lope and still have good street manners?

Thanks for the knowledge guys.

I think what you want, there is as close as you can get to a modernized version of the old 68 340 stick cam. It's sort'ha like the old 350 hp 327 Chiv cam -- a pretty good cam for a lot of mild street engines in it's day.

I'm in the same boat as you, except for now, have TBI fuel injection, another story

I scored a low miles, mid 70s completely virgin 318. Put a Performer RPM, Edelbrock 600/625 on it, recurved dist, and a mild, VERY mild solid lifter cam very close to the old 340 cam, and headers. It has a lot of snot for those little heads and low compression

Wifes going for her masters,moneys tight,completely understand.
For lack of a better word,heres a poor mans process I did.
Turned out to be a very fun lil street car.

"Bone" stock,60,000 mile 318.
Ede Performer
Ede 600cfm
340 manifolds (You use headers).
2.50" dual exhaust H-pipe
Mopar electronic ignition
Car would light it up.......:burnout:

Attachments

• Picture 177.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 473
  • Picture 275.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 493
  • Picture 498.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 473
Its not going to be very lopey. Crackedback has a video of a 360 with the XE268.

Anybody have a clip at idle?

My low compression '79 - 318 in a '74 Duster I did some years back. The cam is a Crane 272/284-.454-.480 on a 112 centerline. It is a bit cold so the idle sounds like a 110 or a 108 c-lined cam. Once it warmed up, it was smooth. I did this on purpose. The 110 c-line will have the muscle car chop to it. The Comp Cam will have that sound. Extremely close to the sound in the clip below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOYMlTTecTU&feature=plcp"]74 Duster Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

This was a low budget build thread to show what you can do with the lowly 318. Instead of tossing it for a 340/360 the second you get it. I never got to finish the fun though. The bolt on parts and a very mild cam like AdamR suggested ran a untuned 15.14 w/3.21 gears and stock tires at ATCO, N.J. on a cold November day.There was surely a high 14 in it. Below is the thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

The basic parts were mostly simple bolt on and the cam.

600 cfm Holley 1850 model - used
Edelbrock LD4B - used
8-1/4 rear w/3.21 gears stock - used
spare bin back breaks upgraded to 10 inch

Open air cleaner - new
Hooker headers and Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust kit - new
Crane cam/lifter set - new
Summit timing chain - new
Electric fan - new

i have a set of 1971 1,88/1.60 j heads of a 360 for you for you for 250.00 to your door ready to put on and run sure some 1 has some 75.00 headers to give up

I would go with the comp cam suggested or one close to a stock 340 grind.
As for the carb, the DP will work, give it a try before sepending any more money.
Put a good duel exhaust on it and will run good.

I would go with the comp cam suggested or one close to a stock 340 grind..

You do realize the stock 340 cams specs @ 050 are nearly as lame a a 2bbl 360 cam vs. the upgraded 340 purple cam which is a nice and healthy cam. There advertised durations are very close to each other but the .050 specs are miles apart.

Stock 340 cam specs are
268/276 advertised, 210/220 @.050", 429/444 lift, 114 lsa

Back from the dead.

Decided to not mess with the cam for now.

Current progress about to be finished this week.

New AC Parts
Went with a front end rebuild from PST.

I'm looking forward to a much better riding/driving car when it's back together.

Questions.

1. Will I have any issues with linkage swapping the carb?
2. I don't think my 2bbl air cleaner will work. I'm thinking of swapping it out with a basic Edelbrock unit. Edelbrock Pro-Flo Series Air Cleaners 1221 Will this work?

Am I forgetting any little parts that I'll need?

Back from the dead.

Decided to not mess with the cam for now.

Current progress about to be finished this week.

New AC Parts
Went with a front end rebuild from PST.

I'm looking forward to a much better riding/driving car when it's back together.

Questions.

1. Will I have any issues with linkage swapping the carb?
2. I don't think my 2bbl air cleaner will work. I'm thinking of swapping it out with a basic Edelbrock unit. Edelbrock Pro-Flo Series Air Cleaners 1221 Will this work?

Am I forgetting any little parts that I'll need?

Ask around for an stock 4bbl kickdown linkage setup with brackets. Its a bolt on for you & they sell for cheap. Or many folks go with a Lokar or similar setup. If you mean throttle linkage, Holley has a kit.

Should be like night and day :D.

Any 4bbl open element air cleaner should work fine, including the Eddy.

I'm not positive you'll need it with the two barrel stuff, But this adapter may help you line up the linkage, although you will probably have to play with/fab the length, especially your kickdown/throttle pressure arm.........

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-7/

Attachments

• mopar linkage.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 332
-
Back